What is a baby crib with a changing table?
What is a convertible baby crib with a changing table?
A baby crib with a changing table is a full-size or mini crib with an attached changing table. All baby cribs with changing table are also convertible, but the numbers of their conversions differ from model to model.
Changers on such cribs are smaller than stand-alone changing tables but big enough to serve their purpose. They are usually attached to the right side of the crib, but there are a few models where you can choose the side.
A convertible baby crib with a changing table grows with your child! It can convert into one or more beds, where the optional conversions are a toddler bed, daybed, and full-size or twin bed.
A convertible crib with a changing table is one piece of furniture meant for various uses! A crib for the baby, the bigger bed for the child, a convenient storage unit, and the changing table.
You can find it under several different names, where all mean the same.
- a convertible crib with changing table
- a crib and changer
- a combo crib
- a multipurpose crib
- a multifunctional crib
- a combination crib
What is the main purpose of a baby crib with a changing table?
A convertible crib with changing table is:
- space saver
- money saver
- sleeping space
- changing unit
- storage unit
Yes, the outer measurements of these cribs are larger from standard convertible cribs. But don’t forget you get a changing table too! A combo crib is a crib, storage unit, and changer at once. It takes up less space than overall measurements of these three separately placed pieces of furniture. And if you opt for a mini convertible crib with changer, it will take up even less space!
The same goes for money spend on nursery furniture. The price of the baby crib with a changing table is lower than the costs for three different units.
Such cribs offer ample storage. Some have a changing table with shelves, others possess drawers or the combination of both. There are even baby cribs with changing table and large under crib storage drawer. I call them the “cribs with ultimate storage space”.
The best convertible cribs with changing table of 2020
We’ve found the best full-size combo cribs for you. I have listed which ones we love the most, and the reasons why we’we rated them high.
If you need more information, you can also check-up our article about the Best convertible cribs with changing table in 2020, where you can find their reviews and comparison charts.
Stork Craft Portofino 4-in-1 Convertible Crib with Changer
Why we love it:
- because it has a classic design that fits with most of furniture
- as it grows with your child: it converts to a toddler bed, daybed & full-size bed, where detach changing table becomes a nightstand
- a changing table, which is attached to the right side of the crib, contains three spacious drawers in the front and three open shelves on the back
Delta Children Abby Convertible Crib and Changer
Why we love it:
- because of a beautifully designed arch-style headboard
- as it grows with your child to adulthood: it converts to a toddler bed, daybed & full-size bed with headboard only
- it has a changing table, which is attached to the right side of the crib
- It has two drawers and two open shelves on the back.
- Above the drawers is one more shelve, which is as deep as the whole changing table.
Graco Remi 4-in-1 Convertible Crib and Changer
Why we love it:
- it has a modern design
- it grows with your child and converts to a toddler bed, daybed & full-size bed
- because it is a crib with the most available storage space
- the changing table stands on the right side of the crib, and you can detach it in all bed stages, not only in the last conversion into an adult bed
- the changing table has three drawers and three shelve
- a spacious under crib drawer
Dream On Me Niko 5-in-1 Convertible Crib with Changer
Why we love it:
- because of its classic look
- as it grows with your child: it converts to a toddler bed, daybed & full-size bed with or without a footboard
- it has a removable changing table, which you can use on the left or right side of the crib
- the changer has three drawers in the front, and three little shelves on the back
Sorelle Tuscany 4-in-1 Convertible Crib and Changer Combo
Why we love it:
- because of its stylish, modern design
- it converts to a toddler bed, daybed & full-size bed
- a changing table is attached to the right side of the crib: it contains three drawers and three shelves on the back
To fully understand what is a baby crib with a changing table, you have to know what is a convertible crib first
Convertibility adds additional value to any crib! It doesn’t matter if we are talking about a crib with an under-crib drawer, a portable crib, a mini crib, or a combo crib, if it is also convertible, it has a much higher value. As such, it will grow with your child, so it is a more long-term and cost-efficient solution.
READ ALSO: Best convertible cribs of 2020
The convertible crib grows with your child! It can convert into one or more different beds, where the possible conversions are a toddler bed, daybed, junior bed, twin bed, or full-size adult bed. Depending on how many different beds they can convert into, we classify them among:
- 2-in-1 convertible cribs: 2-in-1 convertible cribs transit into one bed. That is usually a toddler bed or daybed, but some models can also skip these two phases and transform directly into an adult bed.
- 3-in-1 convertible cribs: 3-in-1 convertible cribs transit into two beds. There are many different combinations.
- 4-in-1 convertible cribs: 4-in-1 convertible cribs transit into three beds. As it grows with your child, from newborn, throughout toddler age, to adult, it can be the only bed your child will ever need.
You have to pay attention to what type of beds the crib converts! For instance, yes, a 3-in-1 convertible crib transits into two bigger beds, but you don’t know into which type if you don’t read the crib’s description carefully. Conversions are different from model to model!
Convertible crib with a changing table
As I already wrote above, the changing table usually stands to the right side of the crib. But there are rare models with changer on the left or even some, where you can pick its placement.
The changing table stays attached to a toddler bed and daybed. It is detachable only in the last conversion into an adult bed, where most models offer its transformation into a nightstand. That’s how you get a full-size bed with a matching nightstand, which is excellent.
Changing table makes this crib a unique piece of baby furniture
Combo cribs have smaller changing tables, but they are safe and serves their purpose the same as other changing tables. But, if you want a big changing table with lots of storage, I suggest you buy it separately.
Different combo models have different designs for the changer. The surface of the changing station on the top is approximately the same on all models. However, they differ according to the combination of drawers and shelves under the changing station.
While some only have drawers, others have shelves or a combination of both. Some have drawers in the front and little shelves in the back. As you can see, the selection is big enough to meet different expectations.
The size of a convertible crib with changing table
The overall length is longer from a stand-alone convertible crib. But still, if you take any full-size crib and add up the length of the separate changing table, those two will take more space as any combo crib.
I can’t tell you the exact dimensions of the whole combo crib. Why? Due to different crib styles and designs, their outer measurements differ from model to model. Some models have bulky frames with lots of curves, others are sleek and minimalist and occupy less space.
It’s the different story with internal measurements, those that are important for picking the fitted crib mattress for your crib. Internal dimensions of all full-size cribs are regulated by the government! It is the same with standard crib mattresses, so any new crib mattress fits into any new full-size crib on the market.
It’s a different story with mini cribs, as their dimensions are not regulated by the government. Any crib that is smaller from a regular crib is a mini crib. However, in most cases, are their inner dimensions around 38″ by 24″. Most mini crib mattresses correspond to these measurements and, as such fit snuggly into the crib.
A mini convertible crib with changing table
A mini convertible crib with a changing table has the same features as its bigger sister, just in smaller dimensions.
It has a smaller footprint, and it is also cheaper, but your child will outgrow it sooner. In most cases, mini combo cribs convert into a daybed or directly into a full-size adult bed.
Why would you opt for a baby crib with a changing table?
- Because you don’t have enough space for a stand-alone changing table.
- Because you like the extra storage it can offer to you. Did you know that some combo cribs have even an additional storage drawer under the mattress area? An ultimate storage crib!
- It is a perfect solution if you don’t want a stand-alone changing table, but you still want a comfortable place to change nappies.
- You want a lifetime bed for your child.
Safety of convertible crib with changing table
- New combo cribs meet all the required safety standards.
- They don’t have drop sides, as that’s forbidden since 2011.
- Manufacturers must use only safe, non-toxic finishes.
- Because they are heavier, combo cribs are incredibly strong and sturdy as well.
- If you have a used model, find out if it meets all safety standards!
Convertible or nonconvertible combo crib
Today manufacturers give you a choice to change the combo crib into different bigger beds. That is as convenient for you, as for them! You get more from the crib, and they have a better model as competitors.
I said the choice because you need to buy the conversion kit for bigger beds separately. Although in rear cases you get the toddler safety rail in the price, you have to buy a full-size convertible kit for each model. Of course, only if you want to convert the crib into a full-size bed. If not, you can still convert the crib to the daybed, without any additional purchase.
Be careful that the name of the bead doesn’t fool you! Numbers tell you how many options you have, but that doesn’t mean you will get everything in the package!
The combo crib’s price
A baby crib with a changing table is a money saver. You get two pieces of furniture, for one price! Well yes, usually you have to pay few more bucks as just for the convertible crib alone. But you won’t get a new stand-alone changing table for few bucks anywhere.
So comparing the overall price of the crib + changer, with the combo crib’s cost, the purchase of the combo crib does save you money!
- Best convertible cribs with changing table in 2020
- Best convertible crib with changing table and under-crib drawer in 2020
I am the founder of Baby’s Little Place. I’m a mom to the one-year-old daughter and I know how overwhelming could be when you are looking at things and tips for a new baby, especially if you are a first-time parent. That’s why I set up this site…because I want to do something I am passionate about, as well as I want to help new parents and parents to be.
I hope you enjoyed reading my article! If you have any questions or comments, please leave them down below. I will be happy to discuss it with you!