Last Updated on March 31, 2021 by Ines
What is a convertible baby crib with a changing table?
A convertible baby crib with a changing table is a full-size or mini crib with an attached changing table.
Changers on such cribs are smaller than stand-alone changing tables but big enough to serve their purpose. They are usually attached to the right side of the crib, but there are a few models where you can choose the side.
A convertible baby crib with a changing table grows with your child! It can convert into one or more beds, where the optional conversions are a toddler bed, daybed, and full-size or twin bed.
A convertible crib with a changing table is a very versatile piece of baby furniture. It can be a crib for your baby, a toddler bed, or even a full-size bed for your teenager. It is a convenient storage unit, a changer, and may convert into a nightstand.
A convertible crib with changing table is considered space and money saver!
Yes, the outer measurements of these cribs are larger than standard convertible cribs. But don’t forget you get a changing table too! A combo crib is a crib, storage unit, and changer at once. It takes up less space than the overall measurements of these three separately placed pieces of furniture. And if you opt for a mini convertible crib with a changer, it will take up even less space!
The same goes for money spend on nursery furniture. The price of the baby crib with a changing table is lower than the costs for three different units.
Different names = Same baby crib
- a convertible crib with changing table
- a crib and changer
- a combo crib
- a multipurpose crib
- a multifunctional crib
- a combination crib
Our favorite combo cribs:
StorkCraft Portofino 4-in-1 convertible crib with changer
Why we love it:
- because it has a classic design that fits with most of furniture
- as it grows with your child: it converts to a toddler bed, daybed & full-size bed, where detach changing table becomes a nightstand
- a changing table, which is attached to the right side of the crib, contains three spacious drawers in the front and three open shelves on the back
Delta Children Abby convertible crib with changer
Why we love it:
- because of a beautifully designed arch-style headboard
- as it grows with your child to adulthood: it converts to a toddler bed, daybed & full-size bed with headboard only
- it has a changing table, which is attached to the right side of the crib
- It has two drawers and two open shelves on the back.
- Above the drawers is one more shelve, which is as deep as the whole changing table.
Graco Remi 4-in-1 convertible crib and changer
Why we love it:
- it has a modern design
- it grows with your child and converts to a toddler bed, daybed & full-size bed
- because it is a crib with the most available storage space
- the changing table stands on the right side of the crib, and you can detach it in all bed stages, not only in the last conversion into an adult bed
- the changing table has three drawers and three shelve
- a spacious under crib drawer
Find more convertible cribs with changing table HERE.
Convertibility adds additional value to any crib! It doesn’t matter if we are talking about a crib with an under-crib drawer, a portable crib, a mini crib, or a combo crib, if it is also convertible, it has a much higher value. As such, it will grow with your child, so it is a more long-term and cost-efficient solution.
READ ALSO: Best convertible cribs of 2021
The convertible crib grows with your child! It can convert into one or more different beds, where the possible conversions are a toddler bed, daybed, junior bed, twin bed, or full-size adult bed. Depending on how many different beds they can convert into, we classify them among:
- 2-in-1 convertible cribs: 2-in-1 convertible cribs transit into one bed. That is usually a toddler bed or daybed, but some models can also skip these two phases and transform them directly into an adult bed.
- 3-in-1 convertible cribs: 3-in-1 convertible cribs transit into two beds. There are many different combinations.
- 4-in-1 convertible cribs: 4-in-1 convertible cribs transit into three beds. As it grows with your child, from newborn, throughout toddler age, to adult, it can be the only bed your child will ever need.
You have to pay attention to what type of beds the crib converts! For instance, yes, a 3-in-1 convertible crib transits into two bigger beds, but you don’t know into which type if you don’t read the crib’s description carefully. Conversions are different from model to model!
Convertible crib with a changing table
As I already wrote above, the changing table usually stands to the right side of the crib. But there are rare models with changer on the left or even some, where you can pick its placement.
The changing table stays attached to a toddler bed and daybed. It is detachable only in the last conversion into an adult bed, where most models offer its transformation into a nightstand. That’s how you get a full-size bed with a matching nightstand, which is excellent.
Changing table makes this crib a unique piece of baby furniture
Combo cribs have smaller changing tables, but they are safe and serves their purpose the same as other changing tables. But, if you want a big changing table with lots of storage, I suggest you buy it separately.
Different combo models have different designs for the changer. The surface of the changing station on the top is approximately the same on all models. However, they differ according to the combination of drawers and shelves under the changing station.
While some only have drawers, others have shelves or a combination of both. Some have drawers in the front and little shelves in the back. As you can see, the selection is big enough to meet different expectations.
Combo crib size
The overall length is longer from a stand-alone convertible crib. But still, if you take any full-size crib and add up the length of the separate changing table, those two will take more space as any combo crib.
I can’t tell you the exact dimensions of the whole combo crib. Why? Due to different crib styles and designs, their outer measurements differ from model to model. Some models have bulky frames with lots of curves, others are sleek and minimalist and occupy less space.
What mattress fits into a combo crib?
It’s a different story with internal measurements, those that are important for picking the fitted crib mattress for your crib. Internal dimensions of all full-size cribs are regulated by the government! It is the same with standard crib mattresses, so any new crib mattress fits into any new full-size crib on the market.
It’s a different story with mini cribs, as their dimensions are not regulated by the government. Any crib that is smaller from a regular crib is a mini crib. However, in most cases, are their inner dimensions around 38″ by 24″. Most mini crib mattresses correspond to these measurements and, as such fit snuggly into the crib.
A mini convertible crib with changing table
A mini convertible crib with a changing table has the same features as its bigger sister, just in smaller dimensions.
It has a smaller footprint, and it is also cheaper, but your child will outgrow it sooner. In most cases, mini combo cribs convert into a daybed or directly into a full-size adult bed.
Why would you opt for a baby crib with a changing table?
- Because you don’t have enough space for a stand-alone changing table.
- Because you like the extra storage it can offer to you. Did you know that some combo cribs have even an additional storage drawer under the mattress area? An ultimate storage crib!
- It is a perfect solution if you don’t want a stand-alone changing table, but you still want a comfortable place to change nappies.
- You want a lifetime bed for your child.
Safety of convertible crib with changing table
- New combo cribs meet all the required safety standards.
- They don’t have drop sides, as that’s forbidden since 2011.
- Manufacturers must use only safe, non-toxic finishes.
- Because they are heavier, combo cribs are incredibly strong and sturdy as well.
- If you have a used model, find out if it meets all safety standards!
Should you choose a convertible or nonconvertible combo crib?
Today manufacturers give you a choice to change the combo crib into different bigger beds. That is as convenient for you, as for them! You get more from the crib, and they have a better model as competitors.
I said the choice because you need to buy the conversion kit for bigger beds separately. Although in rear cases you get the toddler safety rail in the price, you have to buy a full-size convertible kit for each model. Of course, only if you want to convert the crib into a full-size bed. If not, you can still convert the crib to the daybed, without any additional purchase.
Be careful that the name of the bead doesn’t fool you! Numbers tell you how many options you have, but that doesn’t mean you will get everything in the package!
The combo crib’s price
A baby crib with a changing table is a money saver. You get two pieces of furniture, for one price! Well yes, usually you have to pay few more bucks as just for the convertible crib alone. But you won’t get a new stand-alone changing table for few bucks anywhere.
So comparing the overall price of the crib + changer, with the combo crib’s cost, the purchase of the combo crib does save you money!