Best travel cribs of 2019 – Portable travel cribs for babies and toddlers
BEST TRAVEL CRIBS of 2019
The best travel cribs are super portable and don’t weigh a lot. They should also collapse quickly, and fold into a small bag, backpack or suitcase so you can transport them easily and store them in a small space if needed.
Travel or portable crib is a perfect solution for parents on the go.
Travel cribs can be often found under the name “portable cribs“, which of course they are. But under the same name, we can find another crib type. Those are portable cribs made from wood, which differs from travel cribs we are talking about here in many ways.
All models in our list are also classified as one of the best Pack’n Plays of 2019, because you can use them as a travel crib or as a convenient Playard for your baby. So if you are looking a good Pack’n Play, don’t go away!
[stextbox id=’TABLE OF CONTENT’ caption=’TABLE OF CONTENT:‘ collapsing=”true” collapsed=”true” image=’null’]
1. The difference between travel crib and wooden portable crib
2. Travel crib types
3. Best travel cribs for babies and toddlers in 2019
3.1. The best lightweight travel cribs
3.1.1. Lotus travel crib and portable baby Playard Review
3.1.2. BABYBJÖRN travel crib Light Review
3.1.3. Fisher-Price Ultra-Lite day and night Playard Review
3.2. Best rated travel cribs with bigger weight
3.2.1. Graco Pack ‘N Play Playard with newborn napper station Review
3.2.2. Ingenuity Smart and Simple Playard Review
3.2.3. 4moms Breeze classic portable Playard Review
3.2.4. Disney Sweet Wonder Playard Review
4. How we compiled our list of the best travel cribs?
5. Other things you need to consider before you buy a travel crib?
The difference between travel crib and wooden portable crib
- travel cribs are much lighter
- travel cribs typically fold up smaller than portable cribs made from wood
- another significant difference is in the material: Travel cribs have soft mesh sides which provide comfort to the baby. Because of the material, they are made of, travel cribs fold up into smaller and lighter packages than portable cribs made from wood.
Travel crib types
Depending on the start of use, we divide travel cribs into two types:
- 0+ months
- 6+ months
You can choose between travel cribs with or without a newborn bassinet. There are even travel cribs with snuggle nests or/and baby care stations on the top. Those are usually bigger and heavier. Also, it is not convenient to take nests or cares station on the travel, as they do not fold into the package beside the travel crib.
However, it is nice to know you have that option. You can use it at home or in grandparents house and just left it at home while you are on travel. Bassinets fold up into the package with the crib, so you can use them anywhere you go.
So what can I pick?
- a travel crib without bassinet
- a travel crib with bassinet
- a travel crib with bassinet + snuggle nest and care station
After our comprehensive research and tonnes of reviews, we got a list of the best models that are supplied with a bassinet. That is great! Not only have they won in all categories, but can be used by the newborn as well.
Our purpose was to get a list of the best travel cribs that are safe, good quality, with many features, so your baby can use the crib on travel or at home.
All models on our list can be used as a handy Pack’n Play (Playard) as well. When you need a moment for yourself, just set up the crib. Your baby can play safely in the crib, while you do your housework.
Depend on the weight and size of the travel crib we divide them into two groups:
- Bigger travel cribs: Those cribs weight little more and fold up little bigger, but they have lots of additional features, like a snuggle nest, changing table, toys, side organizers and more.
- Basic, minimalist travel cribs: Those are lightweight travel cribs, perfect for hiking or taking on the plane, as they fold up really small.
Best travel cribs for babies and toddlers in 2019
THE BEST LIGHTWEIGHT TRAVEL CRIBS – MINIMALIST PORTABLE CRIBS
Lotus travel crib and portable baby Playard
BABYBJÖRN travel crib Light
Fisher-Price ultra-lite day and dight Playard
Lotus Travel Crib and Portable Baby Playard
- a backpack instead of a classic travel bag
- perfect for travel or home use
- setting up is easy and fast
- side door
- good airflow
- exceeded all safety standards
- the mattress is better than a standard Pack’ n Play mattress
- some have difficulties with Velcro straps: they have a hard time to insert them through slots and keep them there while securing the mattress on the bottom
- a backpack could be little larger
[stextbox id=’TABLE OF CONTENT’ caption=’More about Lotus travel crib and Portable Playard:‘ collapsing=”true” collapsed=”true” image=’null’]
Lotus is an ultra-portable travel crib. It weighs only 13lbs and packs into an easy to carry, hands-free backpack. It is a perfect choice for travel by plane.
Since you can put Lotus in a backpack, it makes your journey with baby a lot easier. We like that the travel bag is made as a backpack, but it can be a little bigger. It would save you the hassle to get the crib in it.
Another feature that differs Lotus from other lightweight, portable cribs is a side access door. You can open it from the outside with a zipper.
You can cuddle with your baby or put her into the crib, without leaning over the rail. We all know how hard is to put sleeping baby into the crib, without waking him up.
Later is a perfect play space for your toddler. It can be zipped and securely closed, or you can leave it unzipped and let your toddler crawl in and out of the crib.
Your toddler won’t feel trapped inside the Playard, but use it as some sort of fort. Isn’t this great?
If you travel a lot, this is one of the best choices for you! You can set up the crib in a few seconds. The crib is lightweight, and you can carry it in a backpack.
Yes, Lotus is a perfect travel crib for around the World, but it is not just that. You can use it at home as a day napper or playpen, as well.
RELATED ARTICLE: Guava Family Lotus travel crib Review
BABYBJÖRN Travel Crib Light
- travel crib stands firmly on the floor
- a soft and comfortable mattress
- it is perfect for newborns and toddlers
- airy design for good supervision
- easily removable and machine washable mattress cover and travel crib fabric
- a safe crib without toxic materials
- quality and durable material that is aesthetically pleasing
- higher price
- it is not the crib for petite people or those with a bad back
[stextbox id=’TABLE OF CONTENT’ caption=’More about BABYBJÖRN Travel Crib Light:‘ collapsing=”true” collapsed=”true” image=’null’]
Another lightweight travel crib that weight only 13lbs. In many features, is the same as Lotus. Actually, those two cribs are both such great choices, you really can’t go wrong either way.
We found out only minor differences between them:
- Babybjorn costs little more than Lotus, but the quality is slightly better as well
- The BabyBjorn’s mattress is the thickest and most comfortable you can get with any portable crib
- BabyBjorn’s footprint is slightly smaller than Lotus (we are talking about 1″), but their height is the same
- Babybjorn narrows on the top, so the top opening is smaller
- it folds up compactly into a suitcase, whereas the Lotus folds into a backpack
Setting up this crib was like a breeze. You can set it up in one easy movement. It’s just as effortless to fold it down. I must say that popping it back into the carry bag was easier than with Lotus.
There are no loose parts to attach. The legs unfold automatically, and the mattress has a built-in base plate that keeps crib stable.
You need to aware that you pay a few bucks more for a brand. But is it worth it? We think it is, but on the other side, the Lotus crib described above is cheaper and as good as this one.
Anyway, traveling with babies typically involves a lot of luggage, so it’s good to know the Babybjorn Travel Crib Light weighs only 13 lbs and packs into a small suitcase.
Also, setting up and folding down couldn’t be easier. It makes it perfect either for traveling around the World or for a short visit to family and friends.
RELATED ARTICLE: Baby Bjorn Travel Crib Light Review
Fisher-Price Ultra-Lite Day and Night Play Yard
- affordable price
- it doesn’t have any loose pieces
- super easy to put together and collapse as well as easy to travel with
- padded play yard mat
- more features than other basic Playards
- suitable from newborn till 3 years
- lightweight and portable
- little smaller
- the bottom is not as good as with the first two
[stextbox id=’TABLE OF CONTENT’ caption=’More about Fisher-Price Ultra-Lite Day and Night Play Yard:‘ collapsing=”true” collapsed=”true” image=’null’]
What we love about this crib, is that it is a lightweight travel crib, which has the same features as traditional Pack’ n Plays. Well, even more! It is an incliner sleeper, a diaper changing station and Playard in one.
Fisher Price’s crib is 2lbs heavier than other two cribs in this group. But because of a low price and all additional features, many parents decide on this one. Anyway, it weighs more than a half less than other popular Playards for babies, so it is not that heavy at all.
Its disadvantage is that Fisher-Price Ultra-Lite Day and Night Play Yard is a little smaller than the other two.
All parents with newborns will love the removable inclined sleeper, which gives a Fisher-Price Playard a great added value. Not only it is a comfortable and safe place for newborns, but a great value for you as well. You will place your sleeping baby in incliner much easier, as putting her over the rail on the bottom of the crib.
If this is not enough, here are some other great features:
- the incliner has supportive seat back, cushioned head support, and three-point restraint for safety
- pad and head support are machines washable
- included a portable changing station with built-in wipes container
- carry bag for easy, hands-free carry and storage
- built-in storage pocket
It is the best lightweight travel crib with a bassinet on the market. Many parents swear that the incliner sleeper is better than most of the regular bassinets.
It is a really good choice for newborns! But if you are buying travel crib for an older baby or toddler, we would recommend the first two options, as the bottom with mattress is better and thicker.
Best rated travel cribs with bigger weight
- Graco Pack ‘N Play Playard with Newborn Napper station
- Ingenuity Smart and Simple Playard
- 4moms Breeze Classic Portable Playard
- Disney Sweet Wonder Playard
Graco Pack ‘N Play Playard with Newborn Napper station
- folding is quick and hassle-free
- simple to pack it up
- full-size bassinet
- cozy newborn napper for babies under 3 months
- airy mesh on all sides for maximum ventilation
- usage as a Play yard
- extra large and sturdy changing table
- soft songs and vibration
- affordable price
- travel bag
- little heavier
- the napper and changing table can’t be used outside of this unit
[stextbox id=’TABLE OF CONTENT’ caption=’More about Graco travel crib‘ collapsing=”true” collapsed=”true” image=’null’]
If you want an affordable travel crib which can double as a pack’ n play, this is one you must consider. Because of all the accessories, it is a little heavier from other travel cribs, but hey, you get everything you can imagine with the crib.
If you travel mostly by car then there are no reservations to opt for this model. But if you intend to take the crib on a plane, then you might consider a basic, minimalist crib which we described below. These cribs are very lightweight and can fold in even into smaller packages.
One of my favorite features of Graco Pack ‘N Play is the fact that it grows with your child. It is designed to transition with your child from a newborn to infant and toddler.
Part of the reason Graco Pack ‘ n Play is one of America’s best-selling Playard brands is also its durability and convenient use. It is like you will take a little nursery on a trip. It has everything you need in one place.
Beside classic pack’ n play features, it has a bassinet for a newborn or even an electronics module with different songs and sounds…
If that’s not enough you’ll also like that it comes with:
- the newborn bassinet which features a canopy that shields your baby from bright lights
- a changing table which you can use with babies up to 30 pounds
- built-in shelves
- signature push-button fold
- a quilted mattress pad that is more comfortable as many other brands
- beside soft tunes, it also provides gentle vibration and an auto shut-off button
The longevity and a low price of this travel crib make it a great value since it will last for years of play and rest for your child.
RELATED READING: Best 5 Graco Pack ‘n Plays with Bassinet
Ingenuity Smart and Simple Playard
- folds up quick and easy
- easily moving around the house
- good airflow to create a cooler space for sleeping
- grows with your child
- for a bigger newborn’s comfort the napper is at a slight incline
- organizing unit on the side
- stable changing table
- adjustable sleeping mat
- the toy bar doesn’t stay in an upright position very well
- the napper is not easy to put in and take out
- heavier as some other travel cribs
[stextbox id=’TABLE OF CONTENT’ caption=’More about Ingenuity Smart and Simple Playard‘ collapsing=”true” collapsed=”true” image=’null’]
Another affordable Playard that keeps babies safe from naptime to playtime. It is basically very similar to Graco Pack’ n Play, only without an electronic module for sound and vibration.
Because the last one is not a necessity for a travel crib, we do not see any reason why this Playard wouldn’t be as good as Graco.
In my opinion, this is a good travel crib on wheels, which folds up quick and easy. I was impressed that for collapsing, you don’t even have to remove the bassinet.
You might think the elevated changing table takes too much of space. Well because you can use it up to baby’s 25lbs it does take some space, but it flips out of the way when not in use. You can easily fold it down, without removing it from the crib.
I like the fact that the crib parts are washable in the washing machine. You can easily zip-off pieces of fabrics, napping center, and changing table and wash them.
Other great Ingenuity Smart and Simple Playard features:
- extra storage on the side
- it has a removable toy bar
- quickly folds up without removing the bassinet
- bassinet for newborns, lined with a white plush
- it has a baby crib-mobile with hanging toys
A classic Pack’ n Play for a low budget. It is durable and sturdy, with everything you need for a newborn up to toddler age.
RELATED READING: Ingenuity Smart and Simple Playard Review
4moms Breeze Classic Portable Playard
- super easy to put together
- grows with your child
- removable bassinet
- comes with carrying case
- great quality
- sturdy frame
- gender-natural color
- bassinet easily snaps securely into position around the
- top of the Playard
- lack of color choice
- higher price
- the bassinet does not fit in the carrying case
[stextbox id=’TABLE OF CONTENT’ caption=’More about 4moms Breeze Classic Portable Playard:’ collapsing=”true” collapsed=”true” image=’null’]
If you are on the market for a classic Playard that is set up in a second, this is the one for you!
One push down in the center and the travel crib is ready to use. The same is with folding. To collapse, you need to grab the handle in the center, pull it up and you are done.
The whole crib is completely folded in a second! Just put it in an included travel bag, and you are ready to go. It couldn’t be easier!
The crib doesn’t have wheels, but because of its lightweight and folding mechanism, you can easily move it around the house. It depends on what you are looking for, but we didn’t miss them. Also, the whole unit stands more stable without wheels!
I love the newborn bassinet! It is so simple, but stable and useful. Actually, the whole unit is sturdy and stable. The fact that you can set it up in a second does not affect the overall crib’s stability at all.
The bassinet provides a comfortable sleeping space for your newborn. It is removable and can withstand the baby weight up to 18lbs.
The biggest advantage of 4moms Breeze classic portable Playard is its simple usage – a breeze as the name tells you right away. The handling with this travel crib, is really super easy, without any hassle.
RELATED ARTICLE: 4moms Breeze Classic Portable Playard Review
Disney Sweet Wonder Playard
- folding up is easily
- newborn insert folds up into the travel bag
- grows with your baby
- easy moving from room to room
- lots of storage space
- stable changing table
- the mattress is not adjustable (However, you can use the mattress in the full-size bassinet feature or place it in the bottom of the Playard itself. So, in theory, you have two levels, but the mattress itself does not adjust.)
[stextbox id=’TABLE OF CONTENT’ caption=’More about Disney Sweet Wonder Playard:‘ collapsing=”true” collapsed=”true” image=’null’]
Do you like Disney? If you do, check out this travel crib. Their Mickey or Minnie mouse themed Playards are perfect for Disney lovers.
We like that the crib doesn’t have hundreds of colors and different Disney characters all over the surface. Designers beautifully incorporated them into the crib’s design.
Of course, only a beautiful design wouldn’t place this travel crib on our list of best rated portable cribs. Disney Sweet Wonder Playard has achieved many points when we have been evaluating different travel cribs.
The crib is designed by Safety 1st, which is a well-established baby product manufacturer. It is a safe choice, with lots of additional features for your baby and you.
I want to point you on a bassinet because this is something you might not like. It is not a regular bassinet which you put on the top of the travel crib, but an insert you hang on the crib sides inside the crib.
You can use it until your baby starts to pull itself up.
I had such an insert on my travel crib, and I was satisfied with it. Actually, sometimes taller newborns outgrow bassinet to quick. They can still use the insert, as it is bigger from the bassinet. As they can’t pull themselves up yet, it is safe!
Just don’t forget to stop using it when your baby starts to pull himself up!
Another advantage of the insert is that it folds up into a travel bag with the crib! Many regular bassinets on Pack’ n Plays can’t!
What else can Disney Sweet Wonder Playard offer to your family?
- changing table
- removable toy arch with plush Disney characters
- it features open view and breathable mesh
- indicators which show you that play yard is safely locked and ready for use
- two wheels for easy mobility
- travel beg is included
- side storage organizer
For all the Disney lovers, this is a beautiful, safe, useful and affordable choice!
HOW WE COMPILED OUR LIST OF THE BEST RATED TRAVEL CRIBS?
First, we had found which models are most desirable amongst parents. After comprehensive research and numerous interviews, we came up with the list of the most popular travel cribs.
Together with parents who already have travel cribs, we find out which features are most important for a good travel crib.
Then we evaluated them and based on the results compiled our list of the best travel cribs of 2019.
If you are uncertain which type is the best for your needs, those factors can be a guideline for your decision. They will tell you what you should consider when buying a travel crib.
1. THE WEIGHT AND SIZE OF THE FOLDED CRIB:
- we compared the size of folded cribs to find out which models occupy less space
- we also compared the weight of the folded cribs, to find out which models are the easiest to carry around
2. THE FOLDING MECHANISM: we were evaluating
- the quality of the folding mechanism
- how fast can you fold up the crib
- if the crib folds-up in one motion or it requires more steps for collapsing
3. THE TRAVEL MATTRESS:
- is the travel mattress included in the price
- travel cribs usually come with a basic travel mattress, but the quality of the mattresses differs a lot
4. THE SIZE OF THE CRIB:
- overall size of the travel crib can differ for a few inches, which is important for some parents, especially if they intend to use it as a Pack’n Play
5. CAN YOU PACK A FOLDED CRIB IN CONVENIENT CARRYING BAG?
- can you store it in a backpack, suitcase or bag
- is the carrying bag included in the price
6. THE PRICE OF THE TRAVEL CRIB:
To figure out if the certain model is worth the money, we compared the price of travel crib with its quality, safety and features it can offer.
All cribs on our list meet the required safety standards travel cribs!
Of course, the best travel cribs must be appealing and beautiful too.
OTHER THINGS YOU NEED TO CONSIDER BEFORE YOU DECIDE ON A CERTAIN MODEL OF TRAVEL CRIB
1. THE PURPOSE:
- Do you intend to travel a lot?
- You might need it only as a secondary crib in grandparents or caregivers house.
- Will you use it as a Pack’n Play a lot?
- Will you take the crib on a plane, bus or train?
2. THE LOCATION OF YOUR STAY:
There is a big difference if you camp or stay in a hotel.
- Is it setting up quick and easy?
- The same goes for folding.
- Do you want a care station or newborn sleeping nest too?
4. THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN LIGHTWEIGHT AND OTHER TRAVEL CRIBS:
Basic, minimalist travel cribs can fold up much smaller than bigger Pack’ N Plays. Of course, they are lighter and with fewer features too.
I am the founder of Baby’s Little Place. I’m a mom to the one-year-old daughter and I know how overwhelming could be when you are looking things and tips for a new baby, especially if you are a first-time parent. That’s why I set up this site…because I want to do something I am passionate about, as well as I want to help new parents and parents to be.
I hope you enjoyed reading my article! If you have any question or comment, please leave them down below. I will be happy discuss it with you!
Have a wonderful day!