What is crib with changing table?
What is a convertible baby crib with changing table?
Convertible crib with changing table is a full-size or mini baby crib with attached changing table. A changing table is usually on the right side of the crib, but in rare cases, you can choose the side of the changer’s position by yourself!
Do you want to know more about convertible cribs with changing table? Let’s split your question into two parts for a more detailed answer.
- What is a convertible baby crib?
- What is a combo crib or crib with changing table?
→ Answers on these questions are under our list of the best combo cribs of 2019!
The best convertible cribs with changing table of 2019
After comprehensive research, with the help of many parents, we found the best full-size combo cribs with changer for you. Here is the list and quick description of those cribs. You can get all the additional information, reviews and comparison chart in our article: Top 5 convertible cribs with the attached changing table.
1. What is a convertible crib?
Convertibility adds additional value to the crib! For reasons of quality, long-term use, and cost-effectiveness, parents usually decide for these models.
The convertible crib grows with your child! Depends on the number of the conversions, you can later transform the crib into a toddler bed, daybed, or even into a full-size adult bed.
- 2-in-1 convertible cribs usually convert into a toddler bed or daybed, but some models skip these two phases and transforms directly into an adult bed.
- The most common conversion for a 3-in-1 convertible crib is into a daybed, and later into a full-size bed.
- A 4-in-1 convertible crib is a “mother of all convertible cribs”. It has everything, from the crib to a toddler bed, and a finall full-size adult bed.
2. What is a convertible crib with changing table?
First of all, we must resolve the confusion with names for this crib. You can find a convertible crib with attached changer under several names:
- a combo crib
- a multipurpose crib
- a multifunctional crib
- a combination crib
All those names mean the same! We are talking about crib with an attached changing table.
As I already wrote above, the changing table is usually attached on the right side of the crib. But there are few models with changer on the left or even some, where you can pick the position of the changer by yourself.
A changing table is attached to the bed in a crib, toddler and daybed phase. And the best part? In the last conversion into a full-size bed, detached changer transforms into a nightstand beside the bed.
That is a great added value for combo cribs with that phase, as you can reuse all parts of the original crib over and over.
Combo baby cribs are money and space savers! You might wonder how is this possible. If you think it’s more expensive and takes up more space than a classic convertible crib, you are right! But that’s just a crib. You need to add measurements and price of the separate place changing table as well. Both will occupy more space and won’t be cheaper anymore.
Changing table makes this crib a unique piece of baby furniture
If you want a big changing table with lots of storage, I suggest you buy it separately. Anyway, combo cribs have smaller changing tables, but they are as comfortable and safe.
Different combo models have different designs for the changer. Usually, they have three drawers in the front, or you can pick a model only with the shelves. Some have drawers in the front and little shelves for additional storage in the back, or one shelf above and two drawers below. As you can see, the selection is big enough to meet different expectations.
Almost all combo cribs have a detachable changer. In the last conversion, you can use it as a convenient nightstand beside the bed.
For some reason, there are few combo cribs without this option. That is common for models with shelves, as they are attached directly to the crib. As the changer missing one side, you can’t use it as a nightstand, or you need to buy an additional side for it.
Did you know that you can get it in two different sizes?
A combo crib is available in mini-version as well. A mini convertible crib with changing table has the same features as its bigger sister, just in smaller dimensions.
It takes even less space and is cheaper too. But your baby will outgrow it sooner, and in most cases, mini combo cribs convert into a daybed or directly into a full-size adult bed. Why? Because a toddler bed is too small, and the conversion would be senseless.
- What is mini crib with changing table?
- Dream On Me Casco mini combo crib Review
- Sorelle Newport mini convertible crib with changer Review
Why should you opt for a convertible crib with changing table?
- Because you don’t have enough space for a stand-alone changing table.
- Because you like the extra storage it can offer to you. Did you know that some combo cribs have even an additional storage drawer under the mattress area? An ultimate storage crib!
- It is a perfect solution if you don’t want a stand-alone changing table, but you still want a comfortable place to change nappies.
- You want a lifetime bed for your child.
Combo crib measurements
The overall length of the combo crib is longer from a stand-alone convertible crib. But still, if you take any full-size crib and add up the length of the separate changing table, those two will take more space as any combo crib.
I can’t tell you the exact measurements of the whole crib. Why? Due to different crib styles and design, outer measurements differ from model to model.
Some models have a bulky design with lots of curves. Others are sleek and minimalist, so they occupy less space.
Internal measurements are approximately the same for all models.
- full-size convertible cribs with changing table: about 52 3/8″ L x 28 5/8″ W
- mini convertible cribs with changing table: approximately 38″ L x 24″ W
Knowing these measurements is important for picking the right size crib mattress for your crib.
The high of the baby crib is approximately the same to other crib models. Again, due to different designs, it can little differ from model to model.
Safety of convertible crib with changing table
- New combo cribs meet all the required safety standards.
- They don’t have drop sides, as that’s forbidden since 2011.
- Manufacturers must use only safe, non-toxic finishes.
- Because they are heavier, combo cribs are incredibly strong and sturdy as well.
- If you intend to use a used model, find out if it meets all safety standards!
Convertible cribs with changing table are listed under those numbers
- 2-in-1 convertible crib with changing table: baby crib converts into one bed
- 3-in-1 convertible crib with changing table: baby crib converts into two different beds
- 4-in-1 convertible crib with changing table: baby crib converts into three different beds with an additional nightstand
Depends on the model, you can get:
- toddler bed
- twin bed with footboard
- twin bed without a footboard
- full-size bed
If you intend to transform the crib into bigger beds, you have to pay attention to the meaning of numbers! For instance: it is a fact that 3-in-1 convertible crib transforms into two bigger beds, but conversions are different from model to model.
Convertible or nonconvertible combo crib
Today manufacturers give you a choice to change the combo crib into different bigger beds. That is as convenient for you, as for them! You get more from the crib, and they have a better model as competitors.
I said the choice because you need to buy the conversion kit for bigger beds separately. Although in rear cases you get the toddler safety rail in the price, you have to buy a full-size convertible kit for each model. Of course, only if you want to convert the crib into a full-size bed. If not, you can still convert the crib to the daybed, without any additional purchase.
Price of the convertible baby crib with changing table
Baby crib with changing table is a money saver, as you get two pieces of furniture for one price. Well yes, usually you have to pay few more bucks as just for convertible crib alone. But you won’t get a new stand-alone changing table for few bucks anywhere.
So if we compare overall price of the crib + changer, with the combo crib, the purchase of the combo crib does save you money!
So, what is a convertible baby crib with a changing table?
- it is a full-size or a mini baby crib
- it converts at least into one bigger bed
- it can be a lifetime bed
- it has a changing table attached to the one side of the crib
- it is a space saver
- it is a money saver
- due to all its characteristics, is becoming more and more popular among parents
ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE:
- Mini convertible baby cribs with changing table
- Top 5 convertible cribs with the attached changing table
- The best 3 combo cribs with under crib storage drawer
- What is a convertible baby crib?
- What is a 2-in-1 convertible crib?
- What is a 3-in-1 convertible crib?
- What is a 4-in-1 convertible crib?
I am the founder of Baby’s Little Place. I’m a mom to the one-year-old daughter and I know how overwhelming could be when you are looking things and tips for a new baby, especially if you are a first-time parent. That’s why I set up this site…because I want to do something I am passionate about, as well as I want to help new parents and parents to be.
I hope you enjoyed reading my article! If you have any question or comment, please leave them down below. I will be happy discuss it with you!
Have a wonderful day!