Last Updated on April 20, 2021 by Ines
Yes, I know the baby is now your priority, and that is how it should be! However, you should take care of yourself too! Regular exercise will strengthen your muscles, and you will easily lose the excess pregnancy weight. Exercise will raise your energy level, relieve stress, and prevent postpartum depression.
Obtain your body back after pregnancy!
Body Changes After Pregnancy
Your body has been working hard during the pregnancy. It has protected you and your baby, provided you with the nutritions, ensured proper hormones, etc. Consequently, it has also changed a lot.
Now that your baby is here, your body is changing physically and mentally again. I will focus only on body changes here, recommended exercises, and add a few tips on how to get rid of them after birth.
When can a mom start exercising after giving birth?
It is good to start exercising gradually. Specialists recommend that you wait six weeks after giving birth, but it depends on the individual women and how she feels.
Pregnant women who have workout during pregnancy and had delivery without complication can start with light exercise after they feel they have enough strength.
Women after cesarean section can usually start exercising 10 to 12 weeks after giving birth. But you should talk with your health care provider first!
How to prevent sagging breasts after pregnancy
Make sure you’re wearing quality supportive during your pregnancy and the whole postpartum period. A well-fitted bra will minimize the pulling effect of your heavier breast.
A proper chest exercise will help you shape your chest muscles. The result are firmer and nicely shaped breasts. It is suitable for complete beginners, but you should not overdo it with weight.
Exercise against sagging breasts after pPregnancy:
Follow the step-by-step instructions below:
- Step 1: Lie down on a flat and firm surface.
- Step 2: Lower shoulders to the ground and slightly bent arms at the elbows.
- Step 3: Lower your arms to the floor by lightly touching the floor with your elbows.
- The exercise is performed slowly and in a controlled manner.
- Try to work with the pectoral muscles as much as possible.
- The arm raising and descent are made in the same slow rhythm.
- Make 5 sets, with 10 to 20 reps each.
- Rest for 1 minute between sets.
How to tighten loose belly skin after pregnancy?
For activating your abdominal muscles as effectively as possible, you must perform exercises according to your current fitness level.
Heavy exercise is ineffective for beginners. They can’t do them properly, so the result is smaller. And vice versa, light exercises are not effective for people with a high fitness level.
As you just gave birth, and your body has already undergone a lot of changes, start slowly! Slow and steady, and you will achieve the desired results.
ATTENTION! If you have had a cesarean section, you can perform abdominal exercises only when your doctor allows it!
Exercise for tightening the post-pregnancy belly:
This exercise consists of two parts, so it is a little harder.
Follow the step-by-step instructions below:
- Step 1: Lie down a back on a flat surface.
- Step 2: Bend your knees.
- Step 3: Stretch your arms over the knees and lift the head.
- Step 4: Lift your upper body up and forward as far as possible.
- Step 5: Exhale and hold on for a short time.
- Step 1: Lie flat on your back with outstretched legs.
- Step 2: Put your arms behind your head.
- Step 3: Crunch and bring your left elbow across your body and toward the right knee, and exhale. Switch sides.
Make 5 sets, with 10 to 20 reps each.
How to get rid of Varicose Veins after pregnancy?
Everything that reduces the pressure in the veins, prevents congestion in the bloodstream, and helps the blood to travel upwards towards the heart, is useful against varicose veins.
Here are some tips for healthy veins after pregnancy:
- Massage and compression stockings are helpful in the fight against varicose veins.
- Regular exercise will strengthen the muscles in your legs and improve heart performance. Moderate walking or swimming is especially helpful.
- Rest with raised legs.
- Avoid hot baths, saunas, and prolonged sunbathing. The fever further dilates the veins in the legs, slows blood flow, and thus worsens the problems. Rather take a shower with cold water, from the toes up. A cold shower narrows the veins and speeds up blood flow.
- Eat a healthy and balanced diet, low in salt and high in fiber.
- Drink a lot of water.
It is crucial to realize that the scar we see is just the tip of the iceberg. Cesarean involves many layers of sutures that extend much deeper than the scar visible on the surface of the skin.
The healing process can take up to two years after the procedure, while pain and other problems can occur long after recovery.
The good news is that you can reduce and eliminate these problems. Cesarean scarring can be improved or even corrected by tissue relaxation exercises and appropriate treatment.
In the first year after the procedure, massage the scar with moisturizing creams. Choose the cream, which accelerates collagen secretion and smooth the skin.
Tissue relaxation exercises after C-section:
These two exercises tighten the skin, softens the tissue around the scar, and enable the tissue to start gaining back its functionality. In case of pain or discomfort, consult your doctor first.
- stand upright
- palms rest on shoulders
- inhale and lean to one side
- exhale and return to an upright position
- inhale and bend to the other side
Perform the exercise very slowly, in the rhythm of your breathing, and keep both feet equally loaded.
- get on your knees
- hold yourself upright and extend your arms
- with outstretched arms rotate in one direction
- inhale during rotation
- exhale as you return to your original position
- rotate to the other side
Perform the exercise slowly, in the rhythm of your breathing), and feel the movement in the pelvis.