Staying active and maintaining your fitness level are vital aspects of a healthy lifestyle. However, finding the time and means to exercise can be challenging when becoming a parent, especially with multiple children. That’s where double strollers come into the picture. But can you run with a double stroller?
The answer is yes. You can run with a double stroller. However, you have to select the right type to do it comfortably. If you are an active parent with two children, choose a jogging type, a double stroller designed specifically for running.
Best Double Jogging Stroller
Why is it important to stay active after having kids?
Staying active and maintaining fitness after having children benefits your physical health and contributes to your mental well-being. It helps you regain your pre-pregnancy strength, boosts your energy levels, and combats the stresses that often accompany parenthood.
By incorporating exercise into your routine, you set a positive example for your children, instilling in them the value of an active lifestyle from an early age.
Benefits and Challenges of Running with a Double Stroller
Running with a double stroller has numerous benefits for you and your children, but it also comes with some challenges you must consider.
Benefits of Running with a Double Stroller
1. It is a time-efficient exercise:
Running with a double stroller allows parents to combine their workout routine with quality time spent with their children. You can save time that would otherwise be spent on separate activities. It’s a win-win situation that lets you stay fit while engaging with your little ones.
2. You are all in the fresh air:
Whether it’s physical well-being, mental revitalization, vitamin D synthesis, connection with nature, or enhanced cognitive development, fresh air’s positive impact on you and your children is undeniable.
3. You can maintain a healthy lifestyle:
Parenthood often demands a significant amount of time and attention, making it challenging to prioritize personal health and well-being. Running with a double stroller allows you to maintain your fitness level.
Challenges of Running with a Double Stroller
1. Increased physical demands compared to regular running:
Running with a double stroller requires more physical effort than running solo or with a single stroller. Pushing the weight of the stroller and the added resistance makes your runs more demanding. You have to prepare for the increased effort and gradually build your strength and endurance to adapt to the added workload.
2. Maneuverability and handling issues:
Double strollers are generally larger and bulkier than regular ones. Thus maneuvering the stroller while maintaining a steady running speed may take some practice. Choose a stroller with good maneuverability and practice running with it in different environments to become comfortable with its handling.
3. Safety concerns:
Double strollers are bulkier, so you must be even more careful while running in high-traffic areas or narrow spaces. Pick a stable double jogging stroller and properly harness your kids. Furthermore, taking precautions such as using reflective gear, following traffic rules, and staying vigilant can help ensure a safe running experience for everyone involved.
Selecting the Right Double Stroller for Running
Just like regular strollers, double strollers come in many types and styles. Picking a jogging double stroller is the best option for a safe, smooth, and enjoyable run with two kids.
Jogging Double Strollers
Jogging strollers are specifically designed for active parents who want to run or jog with their children.
While regular strollers are suitable for everyday use and short walks, jogging strollers handle the rigors of running on various terrains. They have enhanced stability, maneuverability, and shock absorption.
Still, double-jogging strollers can differ from one to another. Thus, you have to keep an eye on a few key features when choosing one.
Key features to look for in a double jogging stroller:
- Suspension: A good suspension system helps absorb shocks, providing a smoother ride for your children and reducing the impact on your wrists and arms.
- Wheel size: Larger wheels, typically around 16 inches, offer better stability and maneuverability, especially on uneven surfaces. Air-filled tires or foam-filled rubber tires provide better shock absorption.
- Stability: To maintain stability while running, look for a stroller with a low center of gravity and a wide wheelbase. This helps prevent the stroller from tipping over during fast or sharp turns.
- Handbrake: A handbrake allows you to safely slow down or stop when necessary, especially when going downhill, and it provides you better control over the stroller’s speed.
- Adjustable handlebar: An adjustable handlebar ensures that parents of different heights can find a comfortable running position and maintain proper posture while pushing the stroller.
Things to consider when choosing a double stroller for running:
- Age and weight limits: Different strollers have different age and weight limits, so make sure the stroller can accommodate your children safely and comfortably.
- Safety features: Safety should be a top priority when selecting a stroller for running. Look for features such as a secure and adjustable harness system that keeps your children in place while running. Additionally, ensure that the stroller has effective brakes that allow you to stop quickly and efficiently when needed.
- Portability and storage options: Consider the stroller’s weight and foldability. Jogging strollers are relatively bulky, so consider its weight and how easily you can fold it.
- Comfort for parents and children: Opt for a stroller that offers comfortable seating and ample support for your children. Look for well-padded seats, adjustable reclining positions, and canopies to protect your little ones from the elements. For the parent, ensure that the handlebar is ergonomically designed and comfortable to grip, allowing for a natural running posture.
Best Double Jogging Strollers
|BEST||RUNNER UP||AFFORDABLE CHOICE|
|STROLLER||BOB Gear Revolution Flex 3.0 Duallie Double Jogging Stroller||Thule Urban Glide 2 Jogging Stroller||Baby Trend Expedition Double Jogger|
W x L x H
|30.5″ x 48.0″ x 45.0″||27.2″ x 41.1″ x 40.0″||31.5″ x 43.0″ x 41.0″|
W x L x H
|30.5″ x 33.0″ x 17.5″||27.2″ x 34.3″ x 16.2″||32.25″ x 34.25″ x 16.78″|
|Fold||Two-step | Storage latch||One-step | Storage latch||One-step | Storage latch|
|Weight||33.1 lbs||34.2 lbs||32.5 lbs|
|Child weight/size limit||from birth (with a car seat) to 100 lbs (2 x 50 lbs)||from birth (with a car seat or bassinet) to 100 lbs (2 x 50 lbs)||from 6 months to 100 lbs (2 x 50 lbs)|
|Handbrake for downhill control||✔||✔||X|
|Locking front wheel||✔||✔||✔|
|Swivel front wheel||✔||✔||✔|
|Seats recline independently||✔||✔||✔|
|Travel system ready||✔||✔||X|
|Compatible with a newborn bassinet||X||✔||X|
|Adjustable handlebar||✔ 9-positions||✔||X|
|Notes||Exceptional tires | Great for rough terrain||Designed for serious runners | Great for rough terrain | Expensive||A great affordable option for joggers | Not the best choice for very rough terrains|
|Click for the Price||Click for the Price||Click for the Price|
Preparing Yourself and Your Children for Running with a Double Stroller
First of all, consult with a healthcare professional before you start running. They can evaluate your general health and fitness level to determine whether running is safe for you. They can also identify potential risks or considerations specific to your situation, such as postpartum recovery, joint issues, or other medical conditions.
Second, running with a double stroller can be physically demanding. Start with shorter runs at a comfortable pace and gradually increase the distance and intensity.
Remember to include a warm-up routine. It can consist of light stretching, mobility exercises, and gentle movements. Don’t forget to cool down after running, either. Do static stretches and gentle exercises to help prevent muscle soreness and promote recovery.
Dress your children appropriately for the weather conditions. Choose breathable and moisture-wicking clothing to keep them comfortable during the run. Use sunscreen, hats, and sunglasses to shield your kids from the sun.
Keeping you and your children hydrated is essential, especially on longer runs or in hot weather. Bring along water or snacks for them, and consider incorporating regular water breaks into your running route.
Tips for Running with a Double Stroller
Running with a double stroller presents a few challenges, but with the proper techniques and precautions, you can have a smooth and enjoyable experience.
Running techniques and posture:
If you’re running with a double stroller, you may need to adjust your stride and pace a little bit. Take slightly shorter strides to maintain control and prevent the stroller from getting too far ahead. Adjust your pace to a comfortable speed that allows you to maintain proper form and control of the stroller.
Pay attention to a proper posture because it helps distribute the workload evenly and minimizes strain on your body. Keep your back straight, shoulders relaxed, and engage your core muscles. Additionally, ensure you have a natural and relaxed grip on the handlebar and avoid unnecessarily tensing up your arms.
Route selection and terrain considerations:
You have to find routes suitable for running with a double stroller. Look for paths, parks, or trails wide enough to accommodate your double stroller’s width comfortably. Avoid routes with steep hills or rough terrain that may pose challenges for maneuvering the stroller.
Sidewalks or other smooth surfaces are generally easier to navigate, while grass or gravel paths may require more effort. Take caution when running on hills, especially downhill, as the added weight of the stroller can affect your balance and control. Lean slightly back and use the stroller’s brakes or handbrake to maintain control.