Last updated on January 23rd, 2023 at 04:54 pm
This baby crib mobile has everything. It is remotely operated, grows with your child, plays lullabies and soothing sounds, and projects images. Keep reading for our Fisher-Price Precious Planet 2-in-1 projection mobile review and see if it lives up to your expectations.
The Fisher-Price Precious Planet is a long-lasting, animal-themed crib mobile.
It has a smart design that accommodates your growing baby. As such, it can offer your baby the most benefits in each stage of her growth.
When it serves as a crib mobile, the Fisher-Price Precious Planet projects images on a cute dome above the baby’s head. Such construction keeps images close, make it easy for a young baby to see and focus on them.
Later you can remove the canopy with toys and leave only the Fisher-Price Precious Planet’s base on the crib. It will serve as a music box and a projector with colorful animal ceiling projection.
- it grows with your child
- versatile use: crib mobile and a crib-side music box with ceiling projection
- switching between sounds
- adjustable volume
- it has a remote control
- night light projection on a canopy or ceiling
- can be easily attached to the side of the crib
- easy to set up
- if you have a really high ceiling, the light show might not be as clear as it is when projected onto the canopy
Fisher-Price Precious Planet 2-in-1 projection mobile review
The Fisher-Price Precious Planet is a cute crib mobile. It has just enough colors and contrasts that it catches the baby’s attention without being kitschy.
Unfortunately, it is available only in one design. Although its design is unisex, the Fisher-Price could add at least a pink version for baby girls. Other than that, I do not have any other complaints!
A lot of similar baby crib mobiles look very plastic, which is not the case here. That is a great benefit for a Fisher-Price Precious Planet 2-in-1 projection mobile, at least, I think so!
It has a spinning canopy with four plush toys:
- yellow lion
- light blue whale
- green alligator
- white polar bear
Toys are attached to the mobile arm by the knot at the end of the string. The knot slips onto the little holes on the canopy. Such a system holds them on the mobile but also enables easy removal if needed.
When your baby is old enough to reach the mobile’s toys, it is time to remove the canopy. But you can still use the plush toys. Remove them from the dome and add them to your child’s toy box for further use.
Fisher-Price Precious Planet Functionality Review
It rotates clockwise and is preset to work in three modes. You can choose between a long-playing music mode, the music with motion, or decide for all together (music, rotation & projection).
I like that it can be only a musical box, meaning it can work without spinning or projecting images. Rotation and projection are for some babies too engaging, so they can not fall asleep if they are on.
After you turn it on, it will automatically turn off after 20 minutes. As for the volume, you can set it into two levels, which I think is enough comparing to similar baby crib mobiles.
The Fisher-Price Precious Planet comes with three sets of melodies. It plays classical lullabies (Bach, Beethoven, and Mozart), nature and ocean sounds, and white noises (heartbeat and womb sounds).
The Fisher-Price Precious Planet doesn’t have a classic nightlight, but it has an excellent nightlight projector. Its projector cycles repetitively through animal pictures (polar bear & penguin in a snowy scene, hippo & monkey, two giraffes, a bird, alligator, turtle & whale). Babies and toddlers love it!
Ease of use
Operating with the Fisher-Price Precious Planet 2-in-1 projection mobile is very easy and can be done by buttons or remote control.
The mobile base has three large colorful buttons on the front that you can use to switch between different sounds.
There are also buttons on the side of the mobile’s base. These buttons are for turning on/off, setting the volume level, and switching between different operating options. *
* When you use the Fisher-Price Precious Planet 2-in-1 projection mobile as a crib mobile, you can choose between three settings. You can set it to:
- play music only
- play music while spinning
- spin, play music, and project images on the spinning canopy
The Fisher-Price Precious Planet 2-in-1 projection mobile has a simple yet efficient remote. Its range is only about 10 meters, without obstacles between the mobile and remote. But you can turn the mobile on/off from the doorway of your baby room, which is enough to operate with the crib mobile without disturbing or waking up the sleeping baby.
The Fisher-Price Precious Planet projection mobile grows with your child. It is a 2-in-1 baby crib mobile, meaning you get one product, which you can use in two different ways. That’s great, because by using it for many years to come you also save some money.
As I already mentioned in the introduction, you can use it as a:
- crib mobile, with the projection on the canopy
- a crib-side music box with ceiling projection
The ability to projects images closer for babies certainly gives additional value to this crib mobile.
The assembly of the mobile is easy and quick and does not damage the crib’s frame. The crib base hooks onto the crib rail with the buckle on the back. For added security, there is an additional string that you tie around one of the crib slats.
The buckle is sturdy and with the string ensures that the baby mobile doesn’t fall from the crib frame. Straps are also adjustable, so the mobile fits perfectly on cribs with wide rails as well.
Fisher-Price Precious Planet Specifications
- weight: 3.17 pounds
- dimensions: 23.5 x 18 x 17 inches
- 4 D batteries for the mobile
- 2 AAA batteries for the remote control
How long can your baby use the mobile?
- Your baby can use it from birth up to five months or until she can reach toys on the canopy.
- When the baby starts grabbing and pulling the mobile’s plush toys, it’s time to remove the arm and leave only the base. Now it is a music box with a ceiling projector, which you can use as long as you want.
The warranty for the Fisher-Price Precious Planet projection mobile is 3 months from the date of purchase with a receipt.
Frequently asked questions
about Fisher-Price Precious Planet projection mobile
1. There are buttons to switch between sound modes, but can I switch between different lullabies in the first mode?
Yes, you can. You can switch between Bach, Beethoven, and Mozart by continuously pressing the yellow button for lullabies. Once you’ve chosen a listening option, it will play for 20 minutes.
2. Does this baby mobile fit on a convertible crib?
Yes, it does.
3. Is the projection dangerous for the baby’s eyes?
The canopy rotates slowly, and the colors are very subtle, so in my opinion, it cannot cause eye problems. All baby products are also rigorous tested to be safe for babies.
4. Is there a power cord, or it works only with batteries?
The mobile works only with batteries.
5. How long do batteries typically last?
It’s hard to tell. It depends on how long you use the mobile and what mode do you use. It also depends on the quality of the batteries you are using.
6. Is the mobile noise activated?
No, the baby’s cry doesn’t reactivate the mobile. But you have a remote control to turn it back without disturbing the baby.
If you are interested in a sound-activated mobile, you can read our VTech Soothing Ocean Slumbers Mobile review.
Why would you decide on a Fisher-Price Precious Planet 2-in-1 projection mobile?
Fisher-Price Precious Planet 2-in-1 projection mobile is for those who:
- like baby gear that grows with your child
- want a baby mobile with a nightlight ceiling projector
- are looking for a baby crib mobile that offers more than spinning toys and one lullaby
- because you want a safe purchase, and a Fisher-Price is a well-established brand
We’ve found the best price for the Fisher-Price Precious Planet 2-in-1 projection mobile on Amazon.