Last Updated on September 2, 2020 by Ines
A fresh smoothie is a delicious and easy way to meet the increased needs of vitamins during pregnancy!
Vitamins are important part of healthy pregnancy
The need for vitamins and minerals increases during pregnancy. Although there are a lot of pregnancy supplements, is the nutrient intake with a healthy and balanced diet still by far the best way. And a freshly made smoothie in the recipe is a perfect alternative to boost your vitamins and minerals during pregnancy in a healthy and yummy way.
Taking extra amounts of vitamins before conception and in early pregnancy is associated with fewer pregnancy-related problems and even a lower risk of miscarriage. So, make yourself a healthy smoothie full of fresh fruits, vegetables, and even ice cream!
Make a delicious smoothie, which will boost immunity and energy levels for the whole family.
Why should you drink vitamin smoothies during pregnancy?
If you are not too fond of fruits and vegetables, a smoothie is an excellent way to consume them anyway. Such drinks are not only a source of vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients, but they also have a beneficial effect on digestion during pregnancy.
Due to the needs of the growing fetus, many pregnant women experience vitamin deficiency, or they are anemic. If you think you can’t meet vitamin needs with everyday diet, talk to your doctor about vitamin supplements during pregnancy.
Vitamin Smoothie for Pregnant Women
A fresh, healthy, and delicious smoothie to meet the increased needs of vitamins during pregnancy!
- TOTAL TIME: 10 mins
- COURSE: Drinks
- SERVINGS: 4 Smoothies
- 1/2 cup jam any
- 2 1/4 cup carrot juice
- 1/2 orange
- 1 banana
- 1 lemon
- 6 tbsp honey
- 4 cup milk
- 2 scoop vanilla ice cream
- coconut flakes optional
- Squeeze lemon
- Mix jam, carrot juice, orange, and lemon juice in a blender with a banana, honey, and milk
- Pour the drink into tall glasses
- Add vanilla ice cream
- Sprinkle with coconut flakes
Benefits in pregnancy
All information and resources found on www.babyslittleplace.com are based on the opinions of the author unless otherwise noted. All information is intended to encourage readers to make their own nutrition and health decisions after consulting with their healthcare provider.
All information contained on this website, including information related to medical matters, health issues, treatments, and products, serves only for informational purposes. It is not intended to replace the advice of your own doctor or specialist.
The information on this website is not intended to diagnose health problems or prescribe medications.
The benefits of the smoothie’s ingredients for the pregnant woman and the fetus:
Carrot Juice in Pregnancy
We all know carrot’s benefits since childhood. Carrot is full of fibers, vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients. It is considered safe during pregnancy, and so do its juice, which is an easy way to add carrots to your diet.
Carrot juice has many benefits for pregnant women. I think drinking carrot juice is much easier than chewing tons of carrots. And if you don’t like its taste, you can add it in a smoothie like in the recipe above, where its flavor blends with others.
Carrot Juice benefits for pregnant women:
- Carrot juice is low on calories, so the pregnant woman will not gain weight consuming it.
- Fibers in carrots speed up metabolism and work against constipation.
- Antioxidants in carrot juice maintain your physical health. Antioxidants protect the body against free radicals. Those are poisons that cause inflammation and cell damage, which leads to chronic diseases and faster aging. As such, it may offer protection against various types of cancers too.
- Carrot juice is full of vitamin A, which is a powerful antioxidant. Compared with normal daily needs, the need for vitamin A in pregnancy increases to about 40%. Vitamin A is good for eyes, and it’s involved in the development of the cardiovascular system in the fetus.
- Carrot is rich in potassium, which helps to maintain healthy cholesterol levels, and as such, prevents cardiovascular diseases. This mineral also reduced typical pregnancy problems, such as swelling and water retention in the body.
- Consumption of carrot juice has a beneficial effect on the skin. Nutritions in the carrots may improve your skin problems during pregnancy and speed the healing process after external trama.
- Carrot contains calcium, which is an essential mineral for developing the baby’s bones, teeth, heart, muscles, and nerves.
Benefits of lemons and oranges in pregnancy
Lemons and oranges contain a lot of vitamin C, potassium, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, and iron.
- Oranges are great for keeping a person hydrated.
- Vitamin C in lemons and oranges prevents oxidation stress and boosts the immune system of pregnant women. It is also important in the development of the fetus’s brain. Vitamin C enlarges iron absorption. Iron deficiency is a common problem in pregnancy, therefore taking vitamin C helps meet higher daily iron needs during pregnancy.
- Folate is an essential vitamin before and during pregnancy. Vitamin B9 helps in red blood cell production, reduces the risk of developing preeclampsia, and baby’s neural tube defects like spina bifida. Folate plays an important role in the fetus development, growth of the placenta, and the synthesis of DNA.
- Phosphorus is an integral part of bones, teeth, and body cells.
*The benefits of calcium and potassium are described next to carrot juice.
**The magnesium benefits can be found in the banana section.
***Find everything about iron in pregnancy HERE.
Bananas in Pregnancy
Benefits of eating bananas during pregnancy:
- Nutrient in bananas maintain healthy blood pressure
- Fibers in bananas prevent food cravings during pregnancy
- Eating bananas while pregnant prevent constipation
- Bananas prevent morning sickness
- Minerals in bananas are a natural stress reliever
- Boosts immune system
- Prevent anemia
Benefits of Honey During Pregnancy
- Honey’s antibacterial properties boost the immune system and help fight infections.
- Honey is a natural remedy for sore throat, which is extremely beneficial during pregnancy when we want to avoid medications.
- Honey relieves cough and helps to overcome colds.
- Honey has stress-relieving properties and improves the quality of sleep during pregnancy.
- Consuming honey when pregnant can help fight against allergies. It can build immunity in the body towards pollen and other seasonal allergies.
- Warm milk mixed with honey reduces heartburn, which is a common problem in pregnancy.
- Applying honey topically to wounds or burns reduces pain and helps in healing.
Benefits of Drinking Milk During Pregnancy
- Proteins in milk help building healthy new cells in the fetus.
- Omega-3 fatty acids and proteins keep you healthy and raise your energy level during pregnancy.
- Some countries, like Canada and Sweden, add vitamin D to the cow’s milk by law. Because of its health benefits, most milk manufacturers in the U.S. add it during milk processing too. Vitamin D goes hand in hand with calcium and phosphorus, as it helps in their absorption in metabolism. Vitamin D boosts the immune system and plays an important role in cell division and bone health. Its lack during pregnancy can lead to preeclampsia.
- Milk is full of calcium and potassium, whose benefits for pregnant women I’ve already described.
- Milk can help reduce heartburn during pregnancy.
Nutritions in the Vitamin Bomb Smoothie for PRegnant women
|Carrot||5 mg Vitamin A|
5,9 mg Vitamin C
0,1 mg Vitamin B6
|320 mg potassium|
35 mg calcium
|Orange||61mg Vitamin C|
46 µg vitamin B₉
|153 mg potassium|
35 mg calcium
10 mg magnesium
22 mg phosphorus
|Banana||8,7 mg Vitamin C|
0,4 mg Vitamin B6
0,3 mg Vitamin B5
|358 mg potassium|
27 mg magnesium
|Lemon||53 mg Vitamin C|
0,1 mg Vitamin B6
|138 mg potassium|
265 mg calcium
0,6 mg iron
8 mg magnesium
|Honey||/||52 mg potassium|
0,4 mg iron
|Milk||0,5 µg Vitamin B12||150 mg potassium|
125 mg calcium
11 mg magnesium
|Vanilla Ice Cream||/||199 mg potassium|
128 mg calcium
14 mg magnesium