7 health benefits of eating bananas during pregnancy
Benefits of eating bananas during pregnancy
Bananas are one of the first fruits we offer to our baby. Because bananas contain all the right nutrients and lots of fibers, they are highly recommended for pregnant women as well.
Eating bananas during pregnancy has a lot of health benefits. Even more, banana is not only good for a pregnant woman, but it has many benefits for her baby in the belly as well.
Because bananas contain so many healthy nutrients, many call them a miracle food. Yes, eating bananas while pregnant has many health benefits for you and your baby, but … especially if you have elevated blood sugar, take some precautions, and talk with your health care provider before including bananas in your everyday diet.
7 health benefits of eating bananas during pregnancy
1. Bananas maintain blood pressure:
Bananas contain a lot of potassium and only a little salt, so they are an ideal food in the fight against high blood pressure.
2. Prevent anemia:
Bananas contain iron and therefore promote the formation of hemoglobin and thus prevent anemia.
3. Bananas prevent food cravings during pregnancy:
Banana contains lots of good carbohydrates, so your sugar level won’t drop soon after its ingestion. As their carbs metabolize gradually, you will stay full longer.
4. Eating bananas while pregnant prevent constipation:
Bananas contain a lot of fiber, which is essential for healthy digestion. Constipation is a frequent problem in pregnancy. If you don’t eat other fiber-rich foods, consuming at least one banana per day will help you with your digestion.
5. Prevent morning sickness:
Bananas help keep your blood sugar in balance, so they can help ease your morning sickness during pregnancy.
6. Bananas are natural stress reliever:
Bananas improve your mood because they contain a type of protein that stimulates the production of the happiness hormone (serotonin) in the brain.
Feeling sick is often caused by stress. That alters the body’s metabolism, which leads to low potassium levels. Since banana contains a lot of potassium, you can easily replace its deficiency with consuming that fruit.
A sufficient amount of potassium will normalize your heart rate, sending more oxygen into your brain, and normalize the water balance in your body.
7. Boosts immune system:
Bananas are rich in antioxidants, which neutralize harmful free radicals in your body. Antioxidants, like vitamin C, improves your immune system.
Benefits of bananas for your baby
All the above not only benefit a pregnant woman but her baby in the belly as well. Same as her mom, the baby needs a lot of oxygen, iron, just enough sugar, and as little stress as possible.
But that is not all! Eating bananas is not healthy only while pregnant, but all the time, for all of us!
- Frequent consumption of bananas increases brain capacity and concentration!
- Eating bananas can help people who have given up smoking. High levels of vitamin B12, potassium, and magnesium make it easier to overcome the problems of sudden nicotine deficiency in the body. If you gave up smoking because you are pregnant, that is another excellent banana’s benefit for you!
- Some studies have even shown that regular banana consumption reduces the chance of a heart attack by as much as 40 percent.
- The banana peel also has its benefits. If mosquito bites you and the place is sore or itchy, rub the spot with the peel’s inside.
What’s hiding in a banana, that eating it during pregnancy is so healthy?
While eating bananas will bring a lot of nutrients into your body, you don’t have to worry about gaining extra pounds too quickly.
A very large banana has only 140 kCal. At the same time, one large banana contains an impressive 602 milligrams of potassium, 2 grams of protein, and 4 grams of fiber. If you avoid sodium and carbohydrates, you will be pleased by the fact that it contains only 2 milligrams of sodium and 36 grams of carbohydrates.
Bananas are also full of vitamins and minerals. They contain vitamin A, various B vitamins (thiamine, riboflavin, niacin, B6, and folic acid), and vitamin C. Minerals in bananas include potassium, calcium, and magnesium, as well as iron and zinc.
Frequently asked questions about eating bananas during pregnancy
Is it OK to eat a banana every day during pregnancy?
Yes! Eating bananas during pregnancy has a lot of benefits for pregnant women and their unborn babies.
One to two medium-sized bananas per day is considered safe for most healthy pregnant women.
Are there any side effects of eating bananas during pregnancy?
As with everything during pregnancy, take some precautions before including bananas in your everyday diet too.
- Bananas contain sugars, so don’t eat them if you have gestation diabetes. Bananas increase blood sugar levels!
- If you think you have high blood sugar or your blood sugar is only slightly raised, consult with your healthcare provider before including bananas into your everyday diet.
- If you are allergic to bananas, do not eat them.
Can I eat bananas in the first trimester of pregnancy?
Regular consumption in the first trimester of pregnancy is beneficial for you and your baby. Particularly in the first trimester, eating bananas helps with proper baby’s bone and nervous system development.
- Pregnancy diet for the first trimester
- Best pregnancy vitamins
- Importance of minerals during pregnancy
- Importance of antioxidants during pregnancy
- High fiber foods during pregnancy
I am the founder of Baby’s Little Place. I’m a mom to the one-year-old daughter and I know how overwhelming could be when you are looking things and tips for a new baby, especially if you are a first-time parent. That’s why I set up this site…because I want to do something I am passionate about, as well as I want to help new parents and parents to be.
I hope you enjoyed reading my article! If you have any question or comment, please leave them down below. I will be happy discuss it with you!
Have a wonderful day!