BabyBjorn travel crib review
BabyBjorn travel crib Light Review
Traveling with a baby is very different than traveling alone. Gone are the days when you had to think only about your clothes and a few other supplies. Besides all baby belongings like baby bottles, diapers, pacifiers, toys, etc., you have to think about where she will sleep, what she will eat, etc. And one of the things that can significantly reduce your stress level is a lightweight travel cot, such as BabyBjorn travel crib light.
Purchasing a travel crib is, in my opinion, a better decision than relying on a hotel to have a suitable baby crib. As you will see in our BabyBjorn travel crib Light review, is this crib, one of the best travel cribs you can buy. Its lightweight makes it an excellent choice for enthusiasts or occasional travelers. Babybjorn travel crib Light is suitable for traveling by car, train, or plane, and great choice either for camping or home use as a Pack ‘N Play.
Weight and amount of luggage are some of the most important factors while traveling, so we can all agree that it is a big difference if you have to carry 40 or 13 lbs crib with you. And with only 13lbs, is BabyBjorn travel crib Light one of the lightest travel cots you can get.
However, BabyBjorn is not just for traveling, as it is also suitable for:
- the afternoon nap at home
- as a Playard for your baby and toddler
- occasional sleepovers at grandparents or caregivers house
- simple setup
- simple takedown
- travel crib stands firmly on the floor
- a soft and comfortable mattress
- suitable from newborn to toddler
- airy design
- easily removable and machine washable mattress cover and all travel crib fabrics
- a safe crib without toxic materials
- lightweight crib
- quality, durable, and aesthetically-pleasing material
- the included compact carrying case
- it has a higher price, which is probably the consequence of the well-established brand name
- The crib doesn’t feature a newborn bassinet. Short parents could have problems while placing a sleeping newborn over the rail on the bottom of the crib.
At this point, I want to mention one more thing that sometimes confuses parents when buying BabyBjorn travel crib. Since 2019, BabyBjorn is selling two travel cribs, a Travel crib Ligh and Easy Go.
What is the difference between the BabyBjorn travel crib Light and Easy Go version?
These two travel cribs are actually identical except for the color! The shape, design, functionality, and features of both travel cribs are the same!
Our BabyBjorn travel crib Review
We wanted to evaluate the most important features you should look for when choosing a travel crib.
- First of all, you need a crib with excellent portability. You will probably carry the crib for a while, so it shouldn’t weigh a lot. The travel crib must also fold up small into a convenient bag, suitcase, or backpack.
- Nobody wants to deal with the crib’s complicated setup on holidays. A good travel crib should set up easily. Of course, disassembling and folding in a travel bag must also be easy and hassle-free.
- Travel mattresses can be a problem. Does the crib come with one, and is it any good?
- As a woman, I know that the look of the crib matters too! That is why we have also reviewed the travel crib’s design.
- And last but not least, the travel crib must be safe for your baby! Though I write about the safety towards the end of this review, it is actually the most important part of our BabyBjorn travel crib Light review! The travel crib must meet all required safety standards!
BabyBjorn’s portability Review
Baby Bjorn travel crib Light is a super light crib, which folds up pretty small.
If you want, you can even pack it inside a large suitcase with other baby belongings. But, as it will take a lot of space in the suitcase, it’s probably better to carry it alone or check-in it separately when traveling by plane. BabyBjorn travel crib light has an included carrying bag in the shape of the suitcase, so that won’t be a problem. Carrying bag is quality made and quite sturdy, so it should survive the airport baggage handling too.
Sometimes it’s hard to squeeze folded Pack ‘n Plays back into their carrying bags. So, I’m happy to say that we didn’t notice such problems on BabyBjorn travel crib Light or Easy Go.
“Ease of use” Review
Setting up this travel crib couldn’t be easier. I mean, you don’t even have to read the instructions. You just can’t do it wrong. Setting up was over after four simple steps:
- unzipping the carry bag
- pulling out the frame and mattress
- snaping the legs into place
- securing the mattress
The legs unfold automatically, and once you secure the mattress, you get a stable and safe travel crib.
The common problem on travel cribs are difficulties with securing the mattress pad into the portable crib’s frame. The problem usually occurs due to the use of velcro straps, which BabyBjorn travel crib Light or Easy Go don’t use.
BabyBjorn travel crib Light and Easy Go have special mattress attachments. You need to pull these clips through corner slots of the crib and anchor them with a hook-loop mechanism. Setting up the mattress pad with such a mechanism is easier and faster than with other travel cribs.
BabyBjorn travel crib Light’s mattress
Included travel crib mattresses have never been, and will never be the same to classic crib mattresses. That is a fact!
Comparing to other travel cribs and Pack ‘N Plays, BabyBjorn comes with a surprisingly soft, thick, and comfortable travel mattress. While the top of the mattress combines 50% polyester and 50% polyurethane, is the bottom of the mattress made of 100% polyester. It is the thickest travel mattress on the market, and well-known for its high quality.
Review of the BabyBjorn’s travel crib design
BabyBjorn travel crib light has a slightly different design than other travel cribs. It has a taller frame, a wider base, and a narrower opening at the top.
While this might cause some difficulties to petite parents, it’s perfect from a safety point of view. If you are very short, you could have problems while leaning over the rail. However, the top rail is padded, so it is more comfortable from wooden cribs.
The most common colors for BabyBjorn travel crib Light are silver and black, but sometimes you can get it in pink, light or dark blue, and brown version. The last four colors are special additions that are not available all the time. Or you can pick a BabyBjorn Easy Go, which is the most recent version available in greige or anthracite finish.
I like the silver version, as it fits nicely into any environment. Because the crib is quality made and possess a timeless design, you can use it more than just for one child. Maybe your next baby won’t be the same gender, so the unisex color is the most rational decision anyway. But that’s just my opinion because all the colors look great.
BabyBjorn travel crib Light safety review
BabyBjorn Travel Crib Light meets or even exceeds all required safety standards. The crib is JMPA certified baby product, so it has been tested by an independent facility and met the guidelines set by ASTM International.
The crib is surrounded by a breathable mesh, allowing a good airflow through the whole crib. The mattress is soft but firm enough to provide a safe sleeping environment for your baby.
A special design, sturdy legs, and built-in base enable the crib to stand firmly on the floor. It is not wobbly at all!
Fabrics used on the crib are tested and approved by the Oeko-Tex Standard for baby products. They are free from harmful and allergenic substances, meaning they are safe for baby to sleep and chew on.
BabyBjorn travel crib’s specifications
Measurements and Weight:
- assembled crib dimensions: 44″ L x 32″ W x 24 “H
- collapsed dimensions: 23,5″ L x 19″ W x 5,5″ H
- included mattress: 41″ L x 23,5″ W x 1.2″ D
- weight (the crib + suitcase): 13lbs
- available colors: black, silver, pink, light and dark blue, brown, greige, and anthracite
Child size restrictions:
- It is suitable for newborns up to approximately 3 years. Some can use it even after turning three.
- Stop using BabyBjorn travel crib Light or Easy Go when your child tries to climb out of the travel crib.
Frequently asked questions about BabyBjorn travel crib Light and Easy Go
1. Which travel crib is more economical BabyBjorn or Lotus travel crib?
That is a hard decision! But after a comprehensive review of both cribs, I would decide on this one. Although Lotus is a good travel crib, BabyBjorn won in all categories, except the price.
Lotus travel crib is a more economical decision. It has good quality, but it is not as high as BabyBjorns. Less money is equal to lower quality.
However, I must emphasize that compared to other lightweight travel cribs, the Lotus travel crib is firmly in second place.
2. Is there a bassinet insert for BabyBjorn’s Pack ‘n play?
No, this crib doesn’t have a bassinet insert, but your newborn can safely sleep in the crib.
3. Does the Baby Bjorn travel mattress fold up into a carrying case?
Yes, of course!
4. Do sheets have to be ordered separately?
If you buy a bundle pack, you get the fitted sheets beside the crib, otherwise, you need to buy them separately.
Although a standard Pack ‘N Play’s sheets fit on BabyBjorn’s travel mattress, they do not fit as perfectly as original BabyBjorn’s sheets.
5. Can I wash the BabyBjorn travel crib?
The BabyBjorn travel crib’s fabric and mattress cover are machine-washable. Wash either of them separately in hot water, using only a gentle, bleach-free detergent. Do not tumble dry or iron the cover or fabric!
The mattress itself is too large to be machine-washed. You can wash it by hand and rinse it off if needed.
BabyBjorn travel crib Light and Easy Go are not the cheapest travel cribs on the market. Do we think they are worth the money? Yes, absolutely! If you can afford BabyBjorn, you won’t be disappointed!
Would I decide on this travel crib? Yes! Only the parents who will use BabyBjorn solely as a Playard at home should consider other Pack ‘N Plays too. Not that BabyBjorn wouldn’t be suitable for this, but as you need it only at home, you can opt for a bigger Pack ‘N Play too.
I love how user-friendly it is. Setting up, taking down, and stacking into a suitcase is super easy. And these are the main features you should expect from the travel crib! Of course, this is convenient for home usage as well. So, don’t store it when you are at home, but use it as a Playard for your child.
The crib is compact and stands firmly on its legs, so your child can play safely in the crib for hours. And if you suddenly need more room, you can fold it up and store it in a few seconds.
BabyBjorn travel crib Light is a safe and eco-friendly travel crib, play area, and a comfortable place to nap!
- Guava Family Lotus travel crib review
- Best Graco Pack ‘n Plays with Bassinet
- Ingenuity Smart and Simple Playard Review
- 4moms Breeze Playard Review
- Best rated portable cribs
I am the founder of Baby’s Little Place. I’m a mom to the one-year-old daughter and I know how overwhelming could be when you are looking at things and tips for a new baby, especially if you are a first-time parent. That’s why I set up this site…because I want to do something I am passionate about, as well as I want to help new parents and parents to be.
I hope you enjoyed reading my article! If you have any questions or comments, please leave them down below. I will be happy to discuss it with you!