Last updated on January 23rd, 2023 at 04:10 pm
Ingenuity Smart and Simple Playard Review
Ingenuity Smart and Simple Playard includes everything you and your child need. It is not just a comfortable sleeping space for your baby and toddler, but a handy changing station, newborn nap station, and Playpen for your toddler. It’s actually like a little portable nursery that you can take almost everywhere you go.
We’ve already got so many positive parents’ feedbacks about this Playard, that we had to test it, and made our Ingenuity Smart and Simple Playard review too.
But we didn’t stop there. We’ve also compared Ingenuity performance with other Playards we had already reviewed on our site. Do you want a quick answer? Is the Ingenuity Smart and Simple Playard a good option for your baby? I can happily say the results of our review are great, just look at the review’s summary.
A quick Ingenuity Pack ‘N Play review:
- easy set-up
- collapsing is easy and quick
- easily moving around the house
- breathable mesh
- grows with your child
- the napper is at a slight incline, so the newborn’s head is elevated and more comfortable
- organizing units on the side
- stable changing table
- adjustable sleeping mat (2 stages)
- it takes a little effort to place the napper on the top of the Playard
- if you intend to travel a lot, you might look into lightweight travel cribs*
* Ingenuity is heavier than lightweight travel cribs, which are primarily intended only for traveling. But that goes for all Playards and Pack ‘N Plays, so it’s not a disadvantage compared to similar models. But, if you intend to use it mostly for traveling, I suggest you take a look into lightweight travel cribs before your decision.
What is Ingenuity Smart and Simple Playard?
Ingenuity Smart and Simple Playard is a multifunctional baby space, perfect from newborn, all the way to toddler age. And it is not just a good choice for your baby, as it can significantly ease your life too. Why? Because you have everything on the reach of your hand.
If I had to point out a particular feature that sticks out from the average, that would be its wide range of usability and the number of different accessories. It is so impressive, how much effort Ingenuity put into the accessibility of different accessories.
Note: Ingenuity Smart and Simple Playard is available in multiple versions. Models differ depending on added accessories. Read what you get in the package carefully, and pick the option that suits your family’s needs the most!
You can use it as:
- newborn napping station
- sleeping space for your baby and toddler, with handy baby crib mobile, toys, or even musical box
- the second crib in grandparents or caregivers home
- changing table
- travel crib
- safe play area for your baby and toddler
- storage for small baby belongings
What you get?
Since the Ingenuity Smart and Simple Playard has been on the market, it has been available in nine versions, but unfortunately, not all of them are always available. I don’t call them models, because their main features are the same. As I said, their difference is in the accessories.
A multifunctional Pack ‘N Play with
- full-size bassinet
- infant napper station
- changing table
- side storage pockets or storage tray depends on the option you choose
- toy on the napper’s canopy, crib mobile with the projector or arch with toys, depends on the option you choose
- a musical box on the napper (except on the Braden and Ridgedale)
1. Additional storage space:
Some Ingenuity Playards come with a hanging storage tray, others with hanging side pockets. There is not a huge difference in the number of baby necessities you can stuff into one or another, so I would not decide based on them.
You can choose between:
- arch with hanging toys
- hanging toys on the canopy
- crib mobile with a starry-nightlight projector
3. Newborn Napper station:
On the top of the Pack ‘N Play is a clipped-on newborn napper. It is deep enough and safe for your newborn. It is also slightly inclined and lined with a comfortable white plush.
A newborn napper is great for naps during the day, but for overnight sleep, rather use a full-size bassinet, which hangs on the Playard sides.
Both a newborn napper and full-size bassinet can be quickly and easily attached to or removed from the Playard.
4. Changing table:
The changing table stands on the top of the Playard too. It is located on the right side of the unit, and a little bigger than a newborn napper, so you can use it longer.
The changing table is covered with a wipeable nylon fabric and deep enough to prevent rolling off.
When it is not in use, you can either flip it out of the way, on the side of the Playard, or remove it entirely. It is easily detachable.
Types of Ingenuity Smart and Simple Playard
|Ingenuity Smart and Simple Playard||Bryant||Moreland||Ridgedale||Connoly||Bella Teddy||Braden||Vesper||Piper||Chadwick|
|REMOVABLE NAPPER STATION||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓|
|MACHINE WASHABLE PIECES||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓|
|STORAGE||side storage pocket||side storage pockets||side storage pockets||side storage pockets||side storage pockets||side storage pockets||storage tray||storage tray||side storage pockets|
|TOYS||arch with toys||arch with toys||arch with toys||on the canopy||on the canopy||on the canopy||crib mobile||crib mobile||on the canopy|
|CARRYING BAG||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓||on the canopy||✓||✓||✓|
You can check up which types of Ingenuity Smart and Simple Playard are currently available on:
In-depth Ingenuity Smart and Simple Playard Review
Ease of use
I really like that you can collapse the Playard with the full-size bassinet installed in the unit. But don’t confuse the full-size bassinet with a newborn napper station! Remember, while the napper sits on the top of the Pack ‘N Play, is the full-size bassinet, the one that hangs inside the unit.
You can’t pack the napper into a traveling bag! And it’s the same story with the changing tablet.
But that is the same on all Pack ‘N Plays, so it’s not a feature that should divide you from the purchase!
The napper station and changing table are perfect for home usage, but not handy for traveling at all. So, don’t cause yourself an unnecessary hassle. Why would you carry around the napper and changer, if the full-size bassinet and Playard are completely enough and also fit perfectly into a traveling bag?
Don’t worry, your newborn will nap in the full-size bassinet as safe, as in the napper station. And you shouldn’t use a newborn napper overnight anyway!
You can also buy a cheap changing pad, which is perfectly OK for changing nappies while traveling.
Ingenuity Smart and Simple Playard is a convenient choice for occasion travelers, but certainly not the best option for frequent traveling, especially by plane.
If you intend to travel a lot, I recommend you take a look into lightweight portable Pack ‘N Plays such as BabyByorn travel crib Light or Guava Family Lotus travel crib. Such cribs are really light and fold up small into a travel bag in the shape of a backpack or suitcase. They are also suitable for a newborn to toddler’s age and can be used as a convenient Playpen too.
Back to the Ingenuity Smart and Simple Playard. As I said, you can take it with you wherever you go, but there are a few things you should know.
- It has an included carrying bag, which fits into the car trunk.
- Only the Playard and full-size bassinet fit into the travel bag.
- I would rather pick a lightweight travel crib for traveling by plane.
- Fitting the Pack ‘N Play into the crib is easy.
- The package is heavier than the lightweight travel cribs I just mentioned above.
Ingenuity has an included classic 1″ Pack ‘N Play mattress. It belongs in the middle-quality range, compared to other Pack ‘N Play mattresses.
It could be better, but it is right that it’s not thicker!
Playards’ sides are from mesh, so there is no solid side support, like on standard cribs. If the baby falls from the mattress, she can become entrapped between the mattress and the Pack ‘N Play’s side. That could lead to injuries, so don’t use a thicker mattress in any Pack ‘N Play or travel crib!
Few parents had reported that the mattress slightly bent down on sides when it was placed in the bassinet. Ingenuity’s bassinet, like any other Pack ‘N Play’s bassinet, doesn’t possess solid support. So I guess that can happen, but I don’t think it can bend so much that would cause a safety risk.
Ingenuity Smart and Simple Playard has a modern design, with lots of color choices. However, if you want a specific toy, for instance, a crib projection mobile, it is not available in all colors.
Some colors are available with mobile, others with toy arch, and jet another with toys hanging on the canopy. Don’t ask me why, but that is how it is.
Playard is surrounded by breathable mesh, which enables a good airflow through the whole unit and creates a better sleeping environment for the baby.
Ingenuity Smart and Simple Playard does not contain BPA or latex and meets global phthalate, lead, and BPA requirements.
Their Pack ‘N Play meets all US, state & international flammability requirements without the use of flame retardants. It follows the United Kingdom flame retardant standards as well!
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE: The best Graco Pack ‘n Plays with bassinets
Ingenuity Smart and Simple Playard’s specifications
Measurements and Weight:
- assembled dimensions: 40″L x 29″W x 28,25″H
- collapsed dimensions: 31.2″L x 10,5”W x 15,8”H
- included mattress: yes
- weight (along with carrying bag, without napper and changing table): 25lbs
- Ingenuity Smart and Simple Packable Portable Playard with Changing Table – Bryant: black and light gray, with beige green and orange details
- Ingenuity Smart and Simple Packable Portable Playard with Changing Table – Moreland: black and white, with turquoise and yellow details
- Ingenuity Smart and Simple Playard – Ridgedale: black and turquoise
- Dream Comfort Smart & Simple Playard – Connolly: different shades of gray, with white details
- Ingenuity Boutique Collection Smart and Simple Playard – Bella Teddy: black, gray, and white with beige details
- Ingenuity Smart and Simple Playard – Braden: shades of gray, with white details
- Ingenuity Smart and Simple Deluxe Playard – Vesper: light gray, with green, blue, and brown details
- Ingenuity Soothe Me Softly Playard – Piper: brown and pink
- Ingenuity Smart and Simple Playard – Chadwick: gray and white, with a little turquoise
Child size restrictions:
- from newborn to toddler
- height limit: 35 inches
- weight limit 30 lbs whichever comes first
2. Newborn Napper: discontinue use when the infant begins to roll over or can pull up on sides (usually this happens around 5 months)
3. weight limit for the changing table is 25 lbs
4. Full-size bassinet: stop using it when the infant begins to push up on hands and knees or weighs more than 15 lbs whichever comes first
Frequently asked questions
1. Can I use the newborn napper outside of the Pack ‘N Play?
No, the napper must be fixed on the top of the Playard.
2. Can I use the changing table outside of the Pack ‘n Play?
The changing table is designed for use on the Playard.
3. Is the mosquito net included?
4. Does it play music?
Yes, but not all of them. Check up in the table above!
5. Can the changer be used on top of the Playard without the newborn napper?
Yes, of course!
6. Is the crib mobile removable?
Yes, it is.
7. Which parts are machine washable?
The mattress’s cover, changing table, and the napper.
I’m happy with the review’s results, and parents love the Ingenuity Smart and Simple too!
What could be better? Ingenuity Smart and Simple is already available in a broader color selection from other Playards, but with a little effort, they could present even a wider assortment. All models could be accessible in all colors.
If you need a Pack ‘N Play for home, grandparent’s house, and/or occasional travel, I don’t see any reservations why you wouldn’t opt for the Ingenuity Smart and Simple Playard!
8 thoughts on “Ingenuity Smart and Simple Playard Review”
This looks like a great quality playard and it has so many useful functions. This will definitely make packing easier when going away as this is both a sleeping and a playing space, as well as somewhere to change nappies.
I also like the fact that it grows with your child so you can use it for a good while. I would just like to know at what age do you recommend that they move onto something bigger. It worries me that it is lightweight so a boisterous toddler might push it over.
I would say around age four, but it is difficult to determine the age limit as children differ from one another. That applies to all Pack’n Plays not just Ingenuity Smart and Simple Playard!
Therefore, manufacturers usually indicate height and weight limits, not age. You can find them in the Specifications up in our review. It is recommended to stop using the Playard when your toddler reaches 35 inches or 30lbs, whichever comes first.
My daughter uses it even longer without problems, but it is the truth that she’s a really calm child.
Where can I find a replacement mattress for the Ridgedale?
They do not sell replacement parts separately. Contact Kids II Consumer Services +1-800-230-8190, or fill the form on their site:
Regards, BLP team
Thanks a lot for the very thorough and comprehensive review post. I got great insights from your review post.
My wife gave birth to a boy baby on 2nd of March 2019 and while doing some research online I came across your helpful review post which means a lot to me.
The features, pros and cons you shared is very helpful in making my purchase decision. The comparison table of the 6 Ingenuity Smart and Simple Playards is super helpful. Ingenuity Smart and Simple Playard – Vesper is the one I am interested with and its on my list. The pricing is also reasonable under my budget.
I loved how easy the review makes it for readers and no additional research needed. You left no stone up-turned in explaining all the details.
Best wishes to you, your family and your success,
Thank you for your kind words!
And first of all, congratulation!
In my opinion, Ingenuity Smart and Simple Delux Playard – Vesper is a perfect choice. And I am not saying this just to be nice. I picked Ingenuity Soothe Me Softly Playard – Piper for my daughter, which is basically the same as Vesper, just in different colors. By the way, she is also born in March. 🙂
I fall in love into baby crib projection mobile, and these two models have it. 🙂
Anyway, as I have already pointed out in the review, all Ingenuity Smart and Simple Playards are great. All 6 models have the same construction, are safe, with all the basicy necessities, it is just on you what kind of extra accessories and color you want.
Have a wonderful time!
I have a 2 day old son and I am a first time mom. I got this pack and play as a gift from my mother and I am worried that the newborn napper isn’t firm enough and that the soft fuzzy fabric at the bottom isn’t safe enough for the baby to sleep on, and that he could get too close to the sides while he’s sleeping or fussing and can suffocate. Am I just being paranoid and it’s super safe for a tiny newborn to sleep in or is what I’m worried about possible?
When I was a first-time mom, I have worried all the time. I was a little paranoid, as you mention. It is nothing wrong with that, but it takes a lot of your energy.
Newborn napper has undergone rigorous testing to be safe. It passes all safety tests! However, almost nothing in this World is 100% sure. Don’t be scared, with proper use there is almost no chance of an accident!
Enjoy with your little bundle of joy!