What is a convertible baby crib?
What is a convertible baby crib?
A convertible crib is the most popular type of baby crib. If they don’t need a crib with specific features such as, for instance, a folding mechanism or wheels, most parents decide for a 3-in-1 or 4-in-1 convertible model.
So, what is a convertible baby crib? A convertible crib is a wooden, acrylic, or metal baby crib, which grows with your child. Convertible cribs are available in both sizes, in the mini or full-size version. Depending on the type, you can transit it into one or three bigger beds. When your baby outgrows the crib, you can convert it into a toddler bed, daybed, or/and even into a full-size adult bed.
READ ALSO: The best convertible cribs of this year
- Types of convertible baby cribs
- What is a convertible baby crib with a changing table?
- Can the convertible crib also be portable?
- Some of the best convertible cribs of this year
- Summary: What is a convertible baby crib?
Types of convertible baby cribs
- 2-in-1 convertible crib: crib + one bigger bed
- 3-in-1 convertible crib: crib + two bigger beds
- 4-in-1 convertible crib: crib + three bigger beds
There are also 5-in-1 convertible cribs on the market. Some have even higher numbers in the name. But that is more a marketing trick, as these cribs don’t differ much from the 4-in-1 convertible crib.
For instance, a 5-in-1 convertible crib can be with or without a footboard in the last conversion into a full-size bed. That is the only difference from 4-in-1 models.
The manufacturer states that you can use a 6-in-1 convertible crib as a bench. A bench is actually a daybed that all 4-in-1 convertible cribs already have. You see, not a big difference!
What is a convertible baby crib with a changing table?
Conversion into bigger beds is not the only feature a convertible crib can offer to you!
If you want a whole nursery station, you can decide on a combo crib. Those are convertible cribs with an additional changing table. A changing table is attached on one side of the crib. Usually, is on the right side, but in some models, you can choose the position on your own.
You can find them under several names:
- combo crib
- combination crib
- multi-functional convertible crib
- multi-purpose convertible crib
If you are familiar with the prices, you probably think that the previous statement is not correct. Combo cribs are not cheaper from convertible cribs. Yes, if you focus only on the cost of the convertible crib. But, if you add the price of a stand-alone changing table, the whole package won’t be cheaper as a combo crib anymore.
READ ALSO: Best convertible cribs with changing table
A changing table is not useless after you stop changing the nappies. In the last conversion detached changing table becomes a nightstand beside the full-size bed, which makes it even more appealing for parents with space issues.
Can the convertible crib also be portable?
Yes, it is possible, but only in rare cases. Of course, you can’t travel with such cribs, but wheels will help you to move it around your home.
I know only two convertible cribs on wheels, a Babyletto Maki and Davinci Jenny Lind. Although unique, these two cribs are of very high quality. Both are standard size crib with a sleek frame, to fit through room dors. While DaVinci Jenny Lind posses a vintage style and many unique colors, it is the Babyletto Maki a modern convertible crib on wheels, which can even fold down when it’s not in use.
Some of the best convertible cribs of this year
Here are a few examples of quality convertible cribs, but you can find more of them in our article about the best convertible cribs.
The best 2-in-1 mini convertible baby crib:
DaVinci Kalani 2-in-1 Mini Convertible Baby Crib
Kalani is an elegant mini crib, designed for smaller nurseries or for the grandparent’s house. With soft, subtle curves it mirrors its big sister DaVinci Kalani 4-in-1 crib’s timeless design.
- it is a mini crib, with assembled dimensions: 40″ x 28.625″ x 38.125″
- four mattress levels allow you to adjust the mattress height to your child’s growth
- it is a great alternative to a bassinet, as it provides a safe and sturdy sleeping place for your baby
- it is a 2-in-1 convertible crib, which converts into one bigger bed → in Kalani’s case into a twin-size bed
- you need a twin-size bed conversion kit for the transformation
- unfortunately, a conversion kit is not included in the price
As you can see, this model skips the daybed and toddler bed stage. That is common for a mini crib. Babies outgrow them faster, so those two don’t have a lot of value.
Another great feature of DaVinci Kalani 2-in-1 mini crib is its low profile. Since cribs with dropping side are not safe, low profile cribs become very popular among short moms. Leaning over the rail and placing a sleeping baby into the crib is much easier with those cribs!
The best 3-in-1 convertible crib:
Babyletto Hudson 3-in-1 Convertible Crib
Hudson is the best-selling model from Babyletto. It has an open design, which makes the crib light and airy. Modern European design with sophisticated colors distinguishes the Hudson from other 3-in-1 convertible cribs.
- stylishly rounded spindles on all four sides
- Hudson is a full-size baby crib with stationary sides
- it can convert into two bigger beds: a toddler bed and later into a daybed
- Hudson’s toddler bed has a safety guardrail
- toddler safety guardrail is included in the price
- Hudson has a metal spring support and takes any standard size crib mattress
- the position of the mattress is adjustable to four different heights
Babyletto Hudson is a popular choice for many parents. Why? Because it is a modern and beautiful crib, and you get everything you need for all the conversions in the package.
Hudson is also a low profile crib, perfect for petite parents. Hudson has a low profile due to short legs, not low rails, so don’t be scared for the safety!
Most affordable convertible crib:
Union 3-in-1 Convertible Baby Crib
Union Crib has a simple yet elegant design. With clean lines and minimalist styling, it is a perfect choice for modern nurseries. It is a full-size 3-in-1 convertible crib, so it transforms into two bigger beds.
- it is a safe and affordable baby crib
- it converts into a toddler bed and daybed
- you need to purchase a toddler safety guardrail separately
- the crib is available in seven different colors, including some rare choices like emerald and lagoon
- it has a four-level mattress support
- Union 3-in-1 convertible crib has slats all around the crib, so you can see your baby from any angle of the room
The best 4-in-1 convertible mini crib:
Dream On Me Aden Mini Convertible Baby Crib
We deliberately chose this model, because it is a perfect example of confusion. Some will claim it is a 3-in-1, another it is a 4-in-1 convertible crib. Why? Because of a footboard. The crib can transform into a full-size bed with or without a footboard.
- Dream On Me Aden is a mini crib with the same features as standard full-size cribs, just in smaller dimensions
- a crib with a three-level mattress support
- it can be a lifetime bed for your child
- Dream On Me Aden’s conversions are: toddler bed, daybed and twin-size bed with or without a footboard
- its toddler bed doesn’t require a safety guardrail
- you have to buy a twin-size conversion kit for the last transformation
You can find more about Dream On Me Aden in our article: Best mini cribs for small spaces
A timless 4-in-1 convertible baby crib:
DaVinci Kalani 4-in-1 Convertible Baby Crib
Kalani is the most popular model from DaVinci. It is one of the best-selling convertible models since 2014!
- Kalani is a static, full-size crib that converts into four bigger beds
- Kalani’s conversions are: toddler bed, daybed, and full-size adult bed
- the crib has a four-level mattress support
- metal spring support and slats around the whole crib allow good air circulation
- it has a toddler safety guardrail, which is included in the price
- as for any convertible crib, you have to buy a conversion kit and a full-size mattress for the last transformation
Summary: What is a convertible baby crib?
- It is a full-size or a mini crib, that can transform into different bed options. → It is a crib that grows with your child!
- Convertible cribs are usually made from wood, but there are few available metals and acrylic convertible models too.
- You don’t need to convert the crib if you don’t want to. → You can use it only as a crib.
- Toddler beds are with or without a safety guardrail. → Safety guardrails are sometimes included in the price.
- If the crib converts into a full-size bed, you need to buy the conversion kit and mattress too!
Why would you decide on a convertible, not a regular baby crib?
First of all, there is not a lot of regular cribs on the market anymore. And second, purchasing a convertible crib will save you money. Convertible cribs offer an opportunity to use them longer as regular baby cribs.
Baby’s Little Place tip: If you already know you will convert the crib, we always recommend buying the conversion kit and/or toddler safety guardrail at the same time. There are a few reasons for that. First, you can get a discount. Second, when your child gets to the full-size bed stage, manufacturers might won’t sell your crib model anymore, or it will be out of stock. Spare yourself those troubles.
I am the founder of Baby’s Little Place. I’m a mom to the one-year-old daughter and I know how overwhelming could be when you are looking at things and tips for a new baby, especially if you are a first-time parent. That’s why I set up this site…because I want to do something I am passionate about, as well as I want to help new parents and parents to be.
I hope you enjoyed reading my article! If you have any questions or comments, please leave them down below. I will be happy to discuss it with you!