Ingenuity Smart and Simple Playard Review
Ingenuity Smart and Simple Playard Review
Ingenuity Smart and Simple Playard includes everything you and your child need. It is not only a comfortable sleeping space, but a handy changing station, newborn nap station, and Playpen for your toddler. It’s actually like a portable nursery that you can take almost everywhere you go.
We are getting so many positive parents’ feedbacks about this Playard all the time, that we had to test it, and make our own Ingenuity Smart and Simple Playard review too.
But we didn’t stop there. We also compared Ingenuity performance with other Playards we had already reviewed on our site. Do you want a quick answer? Is it good or not? I can happily say the results are great!
Summary of the Ingenuity Review
- easy set-up
- collapsing is easy and quick
- easily moving around the house
- breathable mesh
- grows with your child
- the napper is at a slight incline, so the newborn’s head is elevated and more comfortable
- organizing units on the side
- stable changing table
- adjustable sleeping mat (2 stages)
- it takes a little effort to place the napper on the top of the Playard
- if you intend to travel a lot, you might look into lightweight travel cribs*
* Ingenuity is heavier than lightweight travel cribs, which are primarily intended only for traveling. But that goes for all Playards and Pack’n Plays,
What is Ingenuity Smart and Simple Playard?
Ingenuity Smart and Simple Playard is a multifunctional baby space, perfect for newborn, all the way to toddler age. And it is not just a good choice for your baby, as it can significantly ease your life too. Why? Because you have everything on the reach of your hand.
If I had to point out a particular feature that sticks out from the average, that would be its wide range of usability and the number of different accessories. It is so impressive, how much effort Ingenuity put into the accessibility of different accessories. But be careful, because it comes in multiple versions. Read carefully what you get, and pick the option that suits your family needs.
Ingenuity Smart and Simple Playard is available in 6 versions, and you can find their differences in our table below!
However, there are other features, like safety or ease of use you need to consider before your decision. Of course, we had evaluated all of them, hoping that after reading our review, you get all possible information about this product.
You can use Ingenuity Smart and Simple Playard as:
- newborn napping station
- sleeping space for your baby and toddler, with handy baby crib mobile, toys, or even musical box
- the second crib in grandparents or caregivers home
- changing table
- travel crib
- safe play area for your baby and toddler
- storage for small baby belongings
So, what you get, if you decide on the Ingenuity Smart and Simple Playard?
As I already said, you can choose between six different options. I won’t call them models, because they are the same, just with different accessories.
[stextbox id=’TABLE OF CONTENT’ caption=’All of them are multifunctional Playards with:‘ collapsing=”true” collapsed=”true” image=’null’]
- full-size bassinet
- infant napper station
- changing table
- side storage pockets or storage tray depends on the option you choose
- toy on the napper’s canopy, crib mobile with the projector or arch with toys, depends on the option you choose
- a musical box on the napper (except on the Braden and Ridgedale)
[stextbox id=’TABLE OF CONTENT’ caption=’But different in included accessories:‘ collapsing=”true” collapsed=”true” image=’null’]
1. Additional storage & toys
There is not a huge difference in the number of baby necessities you can stuff into a storage tray or side pockets.
It is a different story with toys, as you can choose between:
- arch with hanging toys
- hanging toys on the canopy
- crib mobile with a starry-nightlight projector
2. Newborn Napper station
The newborn napper is deep and safe. It is slightly inclined and lined with comfortable white plush. When your newborn outgrows the napper, you can start using the full-size bassinet which hangs on the Playard sides.
When your baby outgrows the napper, you can simply remove it and use the bassinet. After baby outgrows the bassinet remove it too, and you are left with safe sleeping space and Playard for your toddler.
3. Changing table
The changing table is placed on the right side of the unit. It’s a little bigger than newborn napper, but because of that, you can also use it longer.
It is covered with wipeable nylon fabric, and not as deep as the newborn napper, but still enough to prevent rolling off.
Table: The differences between 6 Ingenuity Smart and Simple Playards
In-depth Ingenuity Playard Review
[stextbox id=’TABLE OF CONTENT’ caption=’Ease of use:‘ collapsing=”true” collapsed=”true” image=’null’]
Ingenuity Smart and Simple Playard have a great folding mechanism. We were able to collapse the Playard in just one easy and quick motion.
The great thing about this Pack ‘n Play is also the fact that you don’t need to remove the bassinet while collapsing the Playard Just don’t confuse the bassinet with newborn napper station, as you can’t pack the napper into a traveling bag! And it’s the same with the changing tablet.
Ingenuity Smart and Simple Playard didn’t get fewer points, because of that. Why? Because that is common for all similar Playards on the market. The napper station and changing table are perfect for home usage, but not handy for traveling at all.
Don’t cause yourself an unnecessary hassle. Take only the Playard and bassinet with you while traveling. You need to carry the napper and changer separately, while Playard and bassinet fit perfectly into a traveling bag.
And don’t worry about your newborn. He can sleep in the full-size bassinet as safe as in the napper station. You can also buy a cheap changing pad, which is completely OK for changing nappies on the holidays.
[stextbox id=’TABLE OF CONTENT’ caption=’Portability:‘ collapsing=”true” collapsed=”true” image=’null’]
Ingenuity Smart and Simple Playard is a good choice for occasion travelers, but certainly not the best option for frequent traveling.
If you intend to travel a lot, you should pick a small and light portable Playard. Those travel cribs are really light, and some can fold even into a backpack.
The best lightweight models are BabyBjorn travel crib Light and Guava Family Lotus travel crib. Your child can use them as soon as you bring him home, and all the way to toddler age. Both models can be used as a convenient Playpen too.
But if you want a simple travel Playard from Ingenuity, you can decide for Ingenuity Travel Simple Playard.
Back to the Smart and Simple Playard. As I already mentioned, you can transport the Playard and full-size bassinet in the included carrying bag.
We didn’t have any problems fitting the crib into the carrying bag, but of course, the package is heavier from lightweight travel cribs I just mentioned above.
Moving around the house is also easy and hassle-free. Ingenuity Smart and Simple Playard has wheels on the one side, so you can simply push it into another room. As it is not as big as classic convertible cribs, it fits through the door frames without any problems.
Wheels have a locking mechanism. Playard doesn’t move and remains safe in place while the baby is in it. Just don’t forget to lock the wheels!
[stextbox id=’TABLE OF CONTENT’ caption=’Travel mattress:‘ collapsing=”true” collapsed=”true” image=’null’]
Ingenuity has a classic 1″ Pack ‘n Play mattress. It could be better, especially when you use it in a bassinet. While many parents didn’t have problems, there were few reports it can slightly bend down on sides.
That applies only to the bassinet! It can happen because the bassinet doesn’t have solid support under the mattress.
The thickness of the Playard’s mattress and lack of support under bassinet are common for all Playards / Pack’n Plays on the market, so I can’t say Ingenuity is worse.
[stextbox id=’TABLE OF CONTENT’ caption=’Design:‘ collapsing=”true” collapsed=”true” image=’null’]
Ingenuity Smart and Simple Playard has a modern design, with lots of color choices.
However, if you want a specific toy, for instance, a crib projection mobile, you can’t get it in all available colors.
Different colors have different accessories and sub-name:
- Bella Teddy is black, gray, and white with beige details, and toys on the canopy + musical box
- Braden has shades of gray, with white details, and toys on the canopy
- Ingenuity Smart and Simple Deluxe Playard – Vesper is in light gray, with green, blue and brown details, and projection mobile
- Dream Comfort Smart & Simple Playard – Connolly has different shades of gray, with white details, and toys on the canopy + musical box
- Ingenuity Soothe Me Softly Playard – Piper is brown and pink, with the projection mobile
- Ingenuity Smart and Simple Playard Ridgedale is black and turquoise, with toys on the arch
Some colors are available with mobile, another with toy arch and jet another with toys on the canopy. Don’t ask me why, but that is how it is.
The whole Playard is surrounded with breathable mesh. There is good airflow through the whole unit, which creates cooler space for a sleeping baby.
[stextbox id=’TABLE OF CONTENT’ caption=’Safety:‘ collapsing=”true” collapsed=”true” image=’null’]
Ingenuity Smart and Simple Playard does not contain BPA or latex, and it meets global phthalate, lead, and BPA requirements.
Their Pack ‘n Play meets all US, state & international flammability requirements without the use of flame retardants. It also follows the United Kingdom flame retardant standards as well.
- 4moms Breeze Playard Review
- The best 5 Graco Pack ‘n Plays with bassinets
- Guava Family Lotus crib Review
- BabyBjorn travel crib light Review
Measurements and Weight:
- assembled crib dimensions: 40″L x 29″W x 28,25″H
- collapsed dimensions: 31.2″L x 10,5”W x 15,8”H
- included mattress: yes
- weight (along with carrying bag, without napper and changing table): 25lbs
- available colors:
- Ingenuity Boutique Collection Smart and Simple Playard – Bella Teddy: black, gray, and white with beige details
- Ingenuity Smart and Simple Playard – Braden: shades of gray, with white details
- Ingenuity Smart and Simple Deluxe Playard – Vesper: light gray, with green, blue and brown details
- Dream Comfort Smart & Simple Playard – Connolly: different shades of gray, with white details
- Ingenuity Soothe Me Softly Playard – Piper: brown and pink
- Ingenuity Smart and Simple Playard – Ridgedale: black and turquoise
→ You can see what accessories belong to a certain color in the table.
Child size restrictions:
- from newborn to toddler
- height limit: 35 inches
- weight limit 30 lbs whichever comes first
2. Newborn Napper: discontinue use when the infant begins to roll over or can pull up on sides (usually this happens around 5 months)
3. weight limit for the changing table is 25 lbs
4. Full-size bassinet: stop using it when the infant begins to push up on hands and knees or weighs more than 15 lbs whichever comes first
Frequently asked questions
1. Can I use the newborn napper outside of the Pack ‘n Play?
No, you can use the napper only fixed on the top of the Playard.
2. Can I use the changing table outside of the Pack ‘n Play?
The changing table is designed for use on the Playard.
3. Is the mosquito net included?
No, you can buy a really cheap and efficient mosquito net HERE.
4. Does it play music?
Yes, but not all six of them. Read the table below!
5. Can the changer be used on top of the Playard without the newborn napper?
Yes, of course!
6. Is the crib mobile removable?
Yes, it is.
7. Which parts are machine washable?
The covers of the mattress, changing table and napper.
Baby’s Little Place Verdict
Like the majority of parents, we were happy with our results too. What could be better? All six options could be accessible in all colors. Although it already offers a wider color selection from other Playards, with small effort, they could present even a bigger assortment. Other than that, this Playard is absolutely worth your attention.
- 4moms Breeze Playard review
- The best 5 Graco Pack ‘n Plays with bassinet
- BabyBjorn travel crib Light Review
- Guava Family Lotus travel crib Review
- Best rated portable cribs