What is a 4 in 1 convertible crib?
What is a 4 in 1 convertible crib?
A 4 in 1 convertible crib grows with your child all the way to the teenage and more. 4 in 1 convertible crib has the largest number of available transformations. It can convert into a toddler bed, daybed, and into a final full-size adult bed. Although there are metal convertible cribs on the market, wooden 4 in 1 baby cribs are way more common these days.
For converting the crib into larger beds, usually, a conversion kit is required. Whether is it included or not, depends on the model and brand of the crib.
So, what is a 4 in 1 convertible crib? Basically, it is one piece of furniture, with four different transformations. A 4-in-1 crib is the most popular convertible model, but also requires the most additional parts!
[stextbox id=’TABLE OF CONTENT’ caption=’TABLE OF CONTENT:’ collapsing=”true” collapsed=”true” image=’null’]
- Is 4-in-1 crib the only model of convertible cribs?
- What do I get if I decide for a 4 in 1 convertible crib?
- When buying a 4-in-1 convertible crib, pay attention to the following things!
- Baby’s Little Place tips about 4 in 1 convertible cribs
- The shape and size of 4-in-1 convertible cribs
- Safety of a 4-in-1 convertible crib
Is 4-in-1 baby crib the only type of convertible crib?
No, there are other models like 2-in-1 and 3-in-1 convertible cribs. As the number suggests, those cribs have fewer conversions.
You can even find 5-in-1 convertible cribs on the market. But with purchasing a 5-in-1 model, you won’t get much more than with 4-in-1 convertible crib. Manufacturers named them 5-in-1 because in the last conversion you can decide between a full-size bed with or without the footboard.
Basically, they are the same! Number 5 is primarily a marketing trick. It is an attempt to sell more cribs and does not offer a huge benefit for you. The consumer sees number 5 and immediately think he will get more for the same price.
Main types of convertible cribs:
- Graco Benton convertible crib review
- DaVinci Kalani 4-in-1 convertible crib review
- Graco Lauren crib review
- Graco Freeport 4 in 1 convertible crib review
What do I get if I decide for a 4 in 1 convertible crib?
You get a crib which you can convert into:
- toddler bed
- full-size bed
A rough description of all conversions would be:
- By removing the front rail and placing the crib mattress into the lowest position, you get a toddler bed. Many 4-in-1 models have an optional toddler safety guardrail as well. If so, you must install it on the front side, and that’s it.
- With removing the toddler guardrail and placing the mattress into the higher position, you will convert the toddler bed into a daybed. If your 4-in-1 convertible crib doesn’t have a safety guardrail, all you have to do is placing the mattress into a higher position.
- You need a full-size conversion kit for the last transformation. Conversion kit contains a large bed frame and mattress pad for the full-size bed. Of course, you have to buy a full-size mattress too.
But that’s far from everything you need to know, as we can’t generalize the available options for all 4-in-1 convertible cribs on the market.
1. Toddler bed
Whether the toddler bed has or doesn’t have a toddler safety guardrail depends on the 4-in-1 model you choose.
You may be asking yourself what is the difference between a toddler and daybed than? Only in the mattress position. While you need to set the mattress into the lowest position for a toddler bed, you have to rise it up for a daybed.
Yeah, I know, not much. That’s why I always stress how important is to read the specifications for each model!
A daybed is the only conversion which is the same for all 4-in-1 models. A daybed doesn’t require any additional parts or extra purchase.
The mattress is the same as in the crib and toddler bed. If your toddler bed has a safety guardrail, you need to remove it first. Otherwise, everything you have to do is placing the mattress into the higher position.
3. Full-size bed
For a full-size bed, pieces of the crib combine to serve as a headboard and footboard. For some models, you have to use them both, with others only a headboard.
You need to buy a conversion kit for the final conversion into a full-size bed. That applies to all 4 in 1 models, from all brands! Conversion kit contains a full-size bed frame and mattress pad. But that is not the only additional purchase, as you need a large bed mattress too.
Things to consider:
- does a safety guardrail for toddler bed even exists
- if it does, is it included, or you need to buy it separately
- what is the price of a full-size conversion kit
- where can you buy it
[stextbox id=’ovcka’ image=’null’]
Baby’s Little Place tips
1. You need to buy a safety guardrail for your preferred 4-in-1 convertible crib.
Buy the toddler guardrail right away. Sometimes you get a discount if you buy the whole package at the same time. When the time for conversion comes, you will have it at hand.
2. Think carefully if you really want to convert the crib into a full-size bed.
The shape and size of 4-in-1 convertible cribs
Convertible cribs come in all shapes and sizes. There are mini and full-size convertible cribs on the market. And, although the most models are rectangular, you can get an oval 4-in-1 convertible crib too.
But that is not all. You can get a 4-in-1 convertible crib with the attached changing table. These are combo cribs, that can also convert into bigger beds. In the last conversion, detachable changing table transform into a convenient nightstand beside the full-size bed.
Safety of a 4-in-1 convertible crib
4 in 1 convertible cribs are sturdy, stationary cribs, without dropping side. CPCS (Consumer Product Safety Commission) banned selling the cribs with drop sides, as they are not safe!
Although there shouldn’t be any unsafe cribs on the market, read carefully if your preferred model meet all safety requirements.
I am the founder of Baby’s Little Place. I’m a mom to the one-year-old daughter and I know how overwhelming could be when you are looking things and tips for a new baby, especially if you are a first-time parent. That’s why I set up this site…because I want to do something I am passionate about, as well as I want to help new parents and parents to be.
I hope you enjoyed reading my article! If you have any question or comment, please leave them down below. I will be happy discuss it with you!
Have a wonderful day!